Tragic - Tragic - Tragic

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Let's give the guy the benefit of the doubt and assume that he was trained properly (we don't know otherwise). **** happens-that's why you've got a buddy to assist.

Originally posted by JustAddWater
Rick,
Funny that you said that about some of the divers you've encountered at La Jolla Cove. I've read about two diving accidents there. One involving a homemade rebreather, another about two divers trying to break their "personal" depth record (I think I read they were trying for 250') off of La Jolla canyon, each using one aluminum 80 with compressed air- no backup. I understand the canyon is accessible from the shore, by about 150 yard surface swim. Scary. May they rest in peace.
What we called La Jolla Canyon was a good bit northwest up the coast from La Jolla Cove, if memory serves. But it has been over twenty years since I was there.
Rick

First off, best to the family ... same ocean buddy pairs very common in SoCal ... unfortunate

Keep us abreast of the details as they come out

Check Scuba Source for the latest information on this story.

Rick, as far as La Jolla be a place to the worst of the worst, it's really not that bad. In fact, just about everyone does their certification dives from La Jolla Shores. It's a very popular place to dive because there is so much to see there.

Once in a while, we get some hot dogs out there that do something stupid, but overall, it is a pretty great place to dive.

and a few thoughts come to mind. I know that when I did my first real dive I was stuck to my buddy as they were with me. My instructor drilled that into me. That is very sad very.

Just read the article Lady Diver posted. Sounds as if this didn't have to happen. When diving with a regular buddy or someone new, I always make it clear, when one of us reaches 500 PSI, the dive is over and we ascend together. What a shame.;-( My thoughts and prayers go out to the man's family.:tree:Bob

Hello,

Ugh! Not another one :( I hate to see cases like this but we do have a dangerous side of our beloved hobby. A few quick notes comes to mind when I read the story. A) what happened to plan your dive and dive your plan? Seems that some buddy issues was the order of the day. B) With 15' vis there should have been some extra safety protocols in place ( well when you dive with me and it's 15' there will be added safety protocols)

As for the 500 psi I have used that standard but I like the rule of 1/3's, i.e. 1/3 down and out, 1/3 to get back and 1/3 as reserve.

Anyone hear the case of the accident yet? I am wondering if equipment problems had any part to play.

Ed

Hello,

A few corrections. Case should be cause. Second I dive in the florida panhandle. We do see 5-15' but not that many divers will dive in those conditions.

Ed

Ed,
I don't disagree with you. If diving at 40 ft, then 500 PSI would be the very minimun to start up with. At 80-100 ft, we use the one third rule. Sorry I didn't make that clear in my earlier post.:tree:Bob

Back
Top Bottom