Training for DM class

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Originally posted by Lost Yooper
Is your problem physical strength or endurance (ie. you get winded easily)?
Endurance. I can cover ground on a surface swim with fins okay, but I've got no idea how well I would do in a regular swim. Especially against the clock.

TM,

I have not gone through DM training, but I swim a fair amount for general fitness (combo of lifting and swimming).

I'll add another vote for swimming -- obviously, the more you do, the better you'll become. Also, there is something to be said for getting used to being out of breath in the water (after swimming a hard set of laps) -- you are used to it and it makes you much less likely to panic in the water.

My suggestions would include:

- Get some decent swim goggles. Nothing screws up a workout more than leaky/poor fitting goggles. Decent speedo goggles are about $15-20.

- Tailor your workouts to match the DM swimming requirements. If the requirements are 400 yards swim and 500 yards snorkle, then try to include sets of this length in your pool workouts at least sporadically so you become used to the distance.

- Time yourself at least once in a while to get used to it. You'll soon become aware of what kind of pace you are maintaining without even looking at your watch -- useful if you are trying to hit a certain time in the tests. You will also be less likely to "psych yourself out" when it comes to the actual test.

- Start slow and work at it. I think a decent goal to try and work your way up to is 1 mile per workout (1,800 yards). Set initial goals of 500 or 1,000 yards and work your way up.

- Break up the work out -- DO NOT try and swim the entire distance without stopping...you'll just get frustrated (and swallow a lot of water). Start with a longer warm-up set (say 200 or 400 yards freestyle, aka crawl stroke), followed by sets of varying lengths with short 15-30 second breaks in between (obviously the fewer/shorter the breaks, the better). My current "normal" workout is as follows:

- 400 freestyle (slower speed -- warm-up)
- 100 breast
- 200 freestyle (mod/high speed)
- 100 kick (kickboard)
- 100 breast
- 100 kick (kickboard)
- 100 freestyle (sprint)
- 100 breast
- 200 freestyle (slower speed -- warmdown)
TOTAL = 1,800

Freestyle is the most taxing stroke -- I give myself time to recover between sets by mixing in kick and breaststroke sets.

One way to start would be to cut these distances in half. If you feel good after workout #1, then slowly increase the distances.

- Try and include sets with fins on. Kicking with fins on gives your legs an incredible workout....much better than without. If the DM swimming requirements include swimming with fins....pool time with fins on is a must, especially if you are prone to cramps. I find that surface swimming with fins on is much more ackward than underwater, so getting used to this in the pool (and getting your legs in shape) is a must.

- Underater swimming -- try this at the beginning of your workout if this is a DM test requirement. Set a goal of 25 yards (1 length) and try to work your way towards this.

- Stroke coaching (don't laugh) -- If you are not a big swimmer, this can really help. You don't have to hire an olympic coach, just find someone who has done some competitive swimming and get their advice. Focus on freestyle since this is the fastest stroke we humans have and the one you will want to use in your tests. Even 10-15 minutes of stroke advice on dry land (keeping your fingers together for better propulsion, etc) can make a big difference.

- Stick with it. The first few sessions may be tough (tiring, swallowed water, etc.), especially if it has been a while since you've done any lap swimming. The more you do, the better you will feel. Try to work up to 3-4 times a week.

Hope this helps. Sorry for the length -- I thought more details might be helpful.

Go get 'em tiger!

-LD

You can do wonders by changing your diet. Try this for one week (4-7 days) prior to your big dives, big swims, etc.:

Completely stop eating all carbohydrates (keep intake less than 30g per day). Make sure you eat prior to swimming too.

Carbohydrates include: potatos, sugar, corn syrup, breads, noodles, rice, fruits, candy, etc.

Eat a high protein, high fat diet. Snack on nutts, seeds, beef jerky, cheese, vegitables etc. Drink milk, diet pop, and other non-sugar drinks.

Give this diet one week and check your weight scale. Go for a swim and take notice of your higher energy levels. It's called the Atkins diet.

Just try it and check your energy levels. You should be very surprised. I do this a few days prior to a big dive to increase my energy levels. Most people go on it full time to lose weight without requiring excercise.

Good luck.

Mike

Originally posted by neil

Mike,
You don't have to actually WEAR the snorkel, just have it with you. I know a few DM's and instructors who carry those cheesy folding snorkels just to meet standards. Stick it in behind your lift bag, nobody will know it's there :) .

Neil

Okie dokie! Nuttin' worse than a snorkle when your not use to wearing one.

Thanks.

Mike

hey mike the dm training is not as bad as you may think, i was in terrible shape when i did my swims and managed to live thru it. swimming is the best way to prepare. another tip don't try and go out real fast or you will burn out, just pace yourself you will do fine. good luck and enjoy it.

Back
Top Bottom