Tranquility Bay Resort, north Ambergris Caye, Belize

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

peterbj7

Dive Shop Owner
Rest in Peace
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I have for some time been recommending this as a laid back but quality dive resort. The owners (a group of doctors from N.America) have recently changed the management and closed the dive centre, so my recommendation is unreservedly withdrawn. There are now no dive centres within reach, let alone one that is as excellent as this one was. A great shame, and to me totally inexplicable. A bit of a surprise for anyone who booked a quality dive vacation.

I have for some time been recommending this as a laid back but quality dive resort. The owners (a group of doctors from N.America) have recently changed the management and closed the dive centre, so my recommendation is unreservedly withdrawn. There are now no dive centres within reach, let alone one that is as excellent as this one was. A great shame, and to me totally inexplicable. A bit of a surprise for anyone who booked a quality dive vacation.

My wife and have booked our 5th 2 week stay at TBR in late February 2013. We are again looking forward to many great dives along the reef in the area. Are you saying that we are going to have to travel into town to do any diving? We are also interested in meeting Carlos as we have heard many good things about what he has done at the great resort. If this is the case I'm alittle concerned about what we will be getting ourselves into.

You're right to be concerned. That's why I've posted. Carlos and Isabelle left for good a few days ago, and haven't been in charge for a few weeks. The dive center has already been closed and the staff fired. It's too far north for other dive centers to service, and apparently the owners want it to be a non-diving resort. If you want to dive yiu'll have a real problem. I and others think this is all insane but the owners call the shots. I'd book elsewhere if you can.

Carlox and Isabelle utterly transformed that resort, but that's all in the past.

Great.... Flights have been booked and deposits are paid. Now I have to start all over again. We have always loved staying at TBR, all the way back to the Pany days. Any recomendations for a simiar place?

Thank you all for posting about Tranquility Bay Resort. I can assure you all that Peter's report of us ceasing to offer diving are greatly exaggerated. We (the owners) want what the guests want, and our guests want to dive the beautiful sites just minutes from our dock. While it is true that we are currently going thru some staffing changes, WE WILL BE OFFERING DIVING FROM OUR RESORT. If you any of you have any questions, please DM me.
-thx

How exactly? You've fired at least your best dive staff, and apparently you've decided no longer to offer nitrox, which is highly appropriate to the diving found around there.

Thank you all for posting about Tranquility Bay Resort. I can assure you all that Peter's report of us ceasing to offer diving are greatly exaggerated. We (the owners) want what the guests want, and our guests want to dive the beautiful sites just minutes from our dock. While it is true that we are currently going thru some staffing changes, WE WILL BE OFFERING DIVING FROM OUR RESORT. If you any of you have any questions, please DM me.
-thx

Notice the post states will be offering diving - as in at some point in the future

I for one hope they do. It's a lovely resort and the diving up there is superb. It's just not looking good at present.

The meaning of Belizean "right away" means "maybe someday if I feel like it, assuming I remember . . . you need to relax, you got issues"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom