Transition to BP/W

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GlennL

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Currently my setup is an aqualung pro hd. I tend to dive with a 3mil suit, steel 117's, and 10lbs of lead in saltwater. I decided I wanted to switch over to the BPW setup.
So far what I have coming to me is a halcyon SS plate and harness and a dive rite rec wing. Im looking for advice on how to proceed from here, particularly on weight placement/pouches/integration so forth.

why did you choose halcyon plate and dive rite wing? It's typically more expensive to buy bp/w's outside of kits. The Halcyon plates are nice, just ridiculously expensive for what it is. The Rec wing is a weird wing, it's really too wide for ideal single tank diving though it is fantastic for small doubles like AL80's and LP72's. It will work in a pinch, but you are far better off going with a rig from one manufacturer and have a wing designed for single tank diving. From Halcyon that would be the Eclipse 30/40, from Dive Rite it would be the Travel/Venture wings.

I personally am a fan of Deep Sea Supply. It stems initially from not having a backplate that was long enough to dive a one piece harness properly. The quality and price point of these rigs really can't be beat in my experience and opinion

why did you choose halcyon plate and dive rite wing?

Because i got the plate and harness off ebay for $100. and the wing was $125.....
And the wing is supposed to be rated for twin 16l tanks. So i figured i could double my 117s if i decided to at some point.
Im still trying to find my style in diving and i have already spent a ton on equipment from the get go and replaced everything, including my regs. so im trying to try out new things, and do so somewhat economically

@GlennL

that's good enough reason. It sounded like in the OP that that is what you were thinking about, not what you had already purchased.

The rec wing is going to be marginal for double 117's depending on where you are diving and in what exposure protection, but it should work well enough. With the rec wing, you are going to want some sort of STA to keep the wing properly attached to the plate and to keep the tank from rolling off of the spine. DGX has a cheap soft one that works quite well

Tbone, you offer a tremendous amount of good advice on this board. Thanks
GlennL, I use a pair of small trim weight pockets on my harness up against the plate. It may not pass muster with some but so far I have been happy with it. I use a 2 lb ankle weight around the tank valve to achieve trim. Perhaps some day I'll be good enough to not need it. a have a small pocket on my waist, a set of shears and a trilobite cutter. Other than that I have large pocket glued to the leg of my wetsuit. I clip my dsmb and thumb reel to the rear d-ring on my crotch strap. I really like the way that works.

thanks for the input guys. I believe i am leaning towards getting some of the oms trim pockets.

They are really big. I like the Aqualung ones and the xs scuba are small but a little too open in the corners.

the only thing that im really trying to figure out (guess) is what my weighting needs will be. so i can comfortably order pockets to hold my needed amount of weight. on average, what would you say the weight characteristics would be between a jacket bcd going to a bpw with the 6 lbs ss plate? i need my stuff to get here so i can get in my pool and figure some stuff out

Ballpark, you should find that you can ditch around 2-3 lbs at least for the buoyancy of the jacket, the rest is just distribution i.e. From weight belt to plate.

You said you dive 10lbs on the belt with your current system, so lose 2 for the jacket and lose another 6 for the plate, I would start with 2 x 2 Lb weight pockets to let you move stuff around until you are comfortable. You'll probably be able to ditch a pound or two more once you are dialled in.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom