Transportation Regulations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We just got back from the Dominican Republic and carried on our Regs in reg bags in a backpack. Did not have any issues with TSA but we flew USA3000 ( a vacation airline so maybe the people were more familiar with gear ). Have also flown on American to Florida and did the same (regs in their bags in a backpack). No problems either way with TSA. We do take the regs out of the backpack and put each one in a bin.

If you live close to the airport you can go and ask to speak to a TSA supervisor (bring the regs) and get his/her ruling Get his/her name and they may give you a note as well to show its ok (or not ok). A friend at TSA said the proactive approach usually works very well on special things. Just don't show up at peak travel time.

Good luck and good diving.

Just got back from Cozumel... Took two PrinctonTec dive lights with 8 d cells each in carry on luggage without problem, as well as regulators, computers and as much heavy gear as I could squeeze in. The BC's fins wet suits masks and clothes went into checked and made it under the 50 lbs limit.

BTW does the valve have to be removed from a pony bottle if it goes in checked luggage?

Just got back from Cozumel... Took two PrinctonTec dive lights with 8 d cells each in carry on luggage without problem, as well as regulators, computers and as much heavy gear as I could squeeze in. The BC's fins wet suits masks and clothes went into checked and made it under the 50 lbs limit.

BTW does the valve have to be removed from a pony bottle if it goes in checked luggage?
Yep! Suppose to be "open" but I tape the neck. Valve must be out tho. See TSA regs

The regulations for spare batteries seem to vary from country to country. I traveled to Honduras in April, and carried all batteries (AA, AAA, and C for primary and spare dive lights, strobe, and marker lights) in their original packaging in our carry on luggage per TSA regulations / recommendations. No problem at all on the way there, and the bags were hand inspected.

The way back was a different story. On the SOSA flight from Utila to San Pedro Sula, everyone's carry-on bags were screened at a stop in La Cieba. Screeners removed every battery they could find that was in anyone's carry on bags, whether installed in a light, or new in the package. Disposable, rechargeable - they took them all. Travelers, including experienced travelers, were upset and it took quite a while for some to open their dive lights to remove the batteries. I had some spares still in original packaging (none still in devices) and they missed mine. Departing from San Pedro Sula to the US, they found and confiscated my spare AA's and C's in original packaging and stated that they are not allowed in carry one luggage and must be in the checked luggage.

We are heading to Belize 8/15. TSA website still clearly and unambiguously says all batteries should be in the carry on luggage. Who knows what they will say in Belize? Anyone else had similar experiences?

Qnape, sounds like "Let's score batteries" day in Honduras. The government and its employees are not known for honesty.

But I usually leave a lot of my used batteries with my DM, other than rechargables.

Qnape, sounds like "Let's score batteries" day in Honduras. The government and its employees are not known for honesty.

But I usually leave a lot of my used batteries with my DM, other than rechargables.

I did the same as you - returned only with my spares in new packaging. I also figured the same as you (that they needed some new batteries for their staff), especially as this occurred during a useless stop in La Cieba - we all got off the plane, went through security, paid an "airport use fee" in cash, then all got back on the same plane and continued to San Pedro Sula. When they confiscated the new batteries at the more organized checkpoint in San Pedro Sula, I was mystified. They clearly stated that all batteries must be checked.

I chalked it up to the peculiarities of international travel.

Last edited:
....this occurred during a useless stop in La Cieba - we all got off the plane, went through security, paid an "airport use fee" in cash, then all got back on the same plane and continued to San Pedro Sula.
Gawd who were you flying, TACA? But carry/roll-on luggage is always more vulnerable in some ways. True, you always have it with you, but easier to justify taking things.

I bet the packaged batteries were sold in a flea market within days.

This has already swerved substantially off-topic, but it does bring up some common misconceptions....

This battery confiscation process occurs in Central America due to a very strict and literal translation of their Air Carrier Agreement of Regulations.

They may well have this interpretation because of a personal profit motive, but I have never seen that Honduran Flea Market that Don knows about. Cripes- the entire country is a flea market!

Please, DO NOT leave your 1/2 used batteries or spent Cyalume sticks or any other garbage in your vacation paradise. Carry them home. If you're going to leave anything for your DM's, show real appreciation for them with new batteries instead of dragging them home. What you buy for 40 cents a pop at Sams, they are paying 90 cents each on island.

Getting "slightly used" batteries is pretty well a standing joke amongst dive masters, sometimes they refer derisively to certain vacationing divers as "battery donors". Don't do it.

Do not bring packaging with you, or at least carry it home in your bags if you must. There is essentially no recycling in most of the Caribbean. The cost of transport fuel has exceeded the return.

Gawd who were you flying, TACA? But carry/roll-on luggage is always more vulnerable in some ways. True, you always have it with you, but easier to justify taking things.

I bet the packaged batteries were sold in a flea market within days.

It was SOSA, from Utila to San Pedro Sula. A traveler's nightmare. On the way there, found out the night before that the flight was full and we had to go by van (8 of us, 4 of whom found out about this from me in the airport in Honduras, for 3 1/2 hours) to catch the Utila ferry in La Cieba to Utila (a wild ride in the dark that night). On the way back, they got an extra plane - one flew direct to San Pedro Sula, and the other made the useless stop I described. We got stuck on the wrong plane. It was a Sunday - banks closed. Paying the "airport use fee" and allowing my daughter to buy some junk in a store left me short for the cash only "exit fee" in San Pedro Sula, and I wound up buying lunch for some missionaries from Georgia with my credit card at Wendy's in exchange for enough cash to get my daughter and I out of the country.

The batteries were the least of my worries that day, but I don't want to donate any more if I can avoid it :D:D

a very strict and literal[/I] translation of their Air Carrier Agreement of Regulations.

They may well have this interpretation because of a personal profit motive, but I have never seen that Honduran Flea Market that Don knows about. Cripes- the entire country is a flea market!

Please, DO NOT leave your 1/2 used batteries or spent Cyalume sticks or any other garbage in your vacation paradise. Carry them home. If you're going to leave anything for your DM's, show real appreciation for them with new batteries instead of dragging them home. What you buy for 40 cents a pop at Sams, they are paying 90 cents each on island.

Getting "slightly used" batteries is pretty well a standing joke amongst dive masters, sometimes they refer derisively to certain vacationing divers as "battery donors". Don't do it.

Do not bring packaging with you, or at least carry it home in your bags if you must. There is essentially no recycling in most of the Caribbean. The cost of transport fuel has exceeded the return.

Great information, and I was unsure of where to post this question. Here seemed most appropriate. I had actually originally planned on doing just that and bringing them the used batteries back for disposal, and will be glad to do that from Belize. But once again, TSA website clearly says put them in carryon bags - do not check them. By bringing them back checked, I break their rule. If I put them in the carry on they get confiscated (and wind up in the same landfill). Who's rule is better to break?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom