Travel Agents Specializing in Scuba Diving Trips?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

also, if you go to your local bookstore, look for Sport Diver or Scuba Diving magazines. They have tons of ads for dive travel companies.

I must be going blind! I've been trying to make a list of travel agents who specialize in dive trips, but most I found in the diving magazines seem to offer specific areas of expertise and I am looking to find an agent who can help me plan a few trips that are pretty scattered over the globe! But I will keep my eyes more open.

great experiences with caradonna and reefrainforest.

Attempting to resurrect an old thread here,

I too only seem to find "agents" that can only offer pre-selected, pre-dated "packages" and are either unaware, or uninterested, in any other alternatives. Does anyone know of someone in the industry that really works for the client? Someone who can say "Here are your options," "these are their strengths and these are their weaknesses" or should I just wake up and face the fact that everyone in the dive travel industry is "sold out" to some business/businesses (PADI I hope you are reading this).

I too only seem to find "agents" that can only offer pre-selected, pre-dated "packages" and are either unaware, or uninterested, in any other alternatives. Does anyone know of someone in the industry that really works for the client?

My question to you would be do you really need an agent for most scuba travel? We have been booking our own dive travel for years. For the most part, you can read reviews on places like SB or other dive sites to find out about different locations/resorts/operators. All it takes is a little time on the internet. Now I do use a person, Warren Sims with Scuba Travel Ventures, when I start getting into situations where I'm going to the Philippines and maybe visiting different resorts and so you have to make connections either by land, sea, or air. Warren is excellent. But for typical Caribbean type stuff, we do it ourselves.

My question to you would be do you really need an agent for most scuba travel? We have been booking our own dive travel for years. For the most part, you can read reviews on places like SB or other dive sites to find out about different locations/resorts/operators. All it takes is a little time on the internet. Now I do use a person, Warren Sims with Scuba Travel Ventures, when I start getting into situations where I'm going to the Philippines and maybe visiting different resorts and so you have to make connections either by land, sea, or air. Warren is excellent. But for typical Caribbean type stuff, we do it ourselves.

Valid point. I don't NEED an agent. But for my situation I would LIKE an agent. I am interested in organizing small group travel for a LDS in the NorthWest (Idaho). Travel can be brutal when you don't live near a major airline hub. My reasoning for an agent is to find someone who might be able to garner better rates for a group vs. onesy/twosy purchases, have access to airline industry computer systems for more broad, more efficient what-if scenarios (multiple stops/destinations), someone who is not beholden to limited resorts and destinations (truly these are nothing more than outside sales people on the payroll for those resorts and destinations; they have no concern or interest for the client acting instead on the behalf of the resort), someone who has an awareness, knowledge, of all the options for many geographical regions (not just those providing kick-backs),and someone with skill and time to do thorough research and make educated recommendations with choices not limited by having a paid relationship. Granted, if there not being paid (off) by the resorts, there will be a fee for their service. But this should be offset by the savings realized.

At least this is the way I remember travel agencies twenty years ago. If there are people like this, out there, doing this now; I would love to know how to find them.

Attempting to resurrect an old thread here,

I too only seem to find "agents" that can only offer pre-selected, pre-dated "packages" and are either unaware, or uninterested, in any other alternatives. Does anyone know of someone in the industry that really works for the client? Someone who can say "Here are your options," "these are their strengths and these are their weaknesses.
Me. This is what I do, but I focus mainly on SE Asia, and I don't do air tickets.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom