Travel and solo diving - where shall we go???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jodylynn007

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi everyone, I really enjoyed this thread: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/li...-find-liveaboard-will-let-me-dive-my-way.html

... and was wondering if we could build on it further to include resorts and liveaboards, etc. in other parts of the world that allow/accommodate solo diving?

As I often travel alone (with pony bottle and self-reliant diver card in hand), it would be wonderful to have a reference available for future dive trip planning. I look forward to hearing from all of you and learning from your travels. I'm booked for 2016 already with a trip to the Philippines (the SB Invasion) and staying closer to home, visiting God's Pocket again in Port Hardy, BC... but 2017 is an open book - where shall I think about going?

Fling Charters out of Freeport, TX does two day/seven dive and three day/eleven dive trips that visit the Flower Gardens Banks. They allow solo diving with the card and proper gear. I don't know how you'd feel about going all that way for a short trip but the diving is very good.

There are three places I would recommend. Bonaire, Bonaire, and Bonaire.

I've solo dived off The Peace in the Channel Islands ... both the diving and the boat are exceptional ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Hello jodylynn007,

Great idea! If this thread takes off, maybe we should ask the management to make this a sticky.

Anyways,
Here is my list:
  1. Beach Hopper, Monterey.
  2. Truth Aquatics, Santa Barbara.
  3. Lois Ann, San Diego (I dived off Lois Ann years ago--hopefully this recommendation is still accurate).
  4. Peace, Ventura.

Generally speaking, the SoCal dive scene is not your normal nanny-state dive culture that I find in so many other parts of the world. The focus is personal responsibility. Take care of yourself (and/or buddy), plan your dive, and dive safely. The rest is up to you! On some dive briefings, the captain has literally stated that they are the taxi service. They transport you and your gear to the dive site and rest is up to you. How refreshing!

And surprisingly, the divers seem to dive within their limits and are self-reliant. Human nature is really something!

I have had mixed reactions from Costa Rica, Honduras, Virgin Islands, Hawaii, Tahiti, and Florida.

markm

I've dived solo in Honduras, Mexico (caves), Red Sea, The Philippines, Indonesia, Uk, ...

Juliet Sailing and Diving allows solo diving with proper certification and gear. I've taken their Bahamas trip but they have other Caribbean trips as well. For Dry Tortugas trips, both MV Spree and Ultimate Getaway allow solo diving with cert and gear too. Many regular day charters in West Palm Beach and Jupiter allow it too as do the more technical oriented dive shops in the Keys..

Blackbeards/Aquacat require Solo card without it No solo diving is allowed. They did fill my pony when I was on board.

Back
Top Bottom