Travel BP&W Setup $500 budget

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Josh Edmond

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Not to beat a dead horse but...I'd like some opinion on a travel plate wing setup. I'm fairly new to diving and have quickly realized the superiority of bp&w. Let me know, with specific details, what plate, harness or just webbing, wing, and accessories you would put together for a singles travel setup. I'd like an AL plate and whatever else you recommend. Also, I would like to keep it at $500 or less. I've considered buying the Mares XR Singles package setup, but I think with the proper advice I could probably have a better setup for less cash. I'm looking for something fairly light and comfortable that gets the job done. Including the ability to dive in colder water occasionally. Additionally, weight recommendation. Weight belt, quick release pockets, tank band weights? Thank you for your consideration on the matter. Any help would be greatly appreciated, all opinions on brands, styles, and biases are welcome.

I recommend the Dive Gear Express package. It ticks all your blocks at a budget friendly price. If you want weight pockets you can add in the dive rite qd pouches, they work well.

Mares is nice but you will pay a premium for their name.

-Z

I would second the DGX package.

DW

VDH 23lb wing (I personally use 18lb for travel and 40lb for drysuit cold weather)
Hog ally plate
Halcyon harness and hardware
Hog cam bands with plastic buckles
Cressi rubber weight belt

Lightweight, robust and great bang for your buck.
This is the exact setup I use for travel

VDH 23lb wing (I personally use 18lb for travek and 40lb for drysuit cold weather)
Hog ally plate

I don't see any benefit to piecemealing a bp/w setup with a myriad of standard components purchased separately unless one already has some of the stuff or finds the components deeply discounted. The only advantage I can see to your suggestion is it will make the OP's wallet lighter and thinner and therefore easier to pack with an overpriced travel setup.

-Z

I don't see any benefit to piecemealing a bp/w setup with a myriad of standard components purchased separately unless one already has some of the stuff or finds the components deeply discounted. The only advantage I can see to your suggestion is it will make the OP's wallet lighter and thinner and therefore easier to pack with an overpriced travel setup.

-Z

Each to their own.
I am only recommending this as I have experience with it. I have never seen a DGX setup and most likely never will. How is yours holding up? Got a few dives on it?

It is very easy to build a package under $500 dollars, several good options below. I have watched the price of BP/W decrease substantially over the last year. One of the cost drivers for a BP/W is if you want to add dumpable weight pockets to it, most vendors have them but they add 70-120 dollars to a set-up. If you want inexpensive but functional ones I would recommend

$12 dollars each
Cave Adventurers - XS Scuba Quick-Release Single Weight Pocket - Marianna, Florida USA - Never Undersold!

Inexpensive but quality BP/W setups:

Mares setup from DGX $459 (Al vs SS options 22 & 34 lb wing options)
DGX Custom - XR Singles Harness / Backplate / Wing Package | Dive Gear Express®

DGX house brand $349 (AL BP and 30lb wing)
DGX Custom - DGX Singles Harness / Backplate / Wing Package | Dive Gear Express®

HOG BP/W setup from Dive Right in Scuba (AL, 23 lb wing)
Hog BP/W Full Set - Single

HOG BP/W hogartharian setup from Divers Supply (AL, 32 lb wing) $329
Hogarthian Custom Harness Package

VDH $408, (23 lb wing , AL BP, 2 plastic tank straps + hardware kit) (you have to build the package yourself but VDH makes great wings)
Store | Vintage Double Hose

Each to their own.
I am only recommending this as I have experience with it. I have never seen a DGX setup and most likely never will. How is yours holding up? Got a few dives on it?
I love mine. Probably 100 dives on it, no problems, no complaints

VDH 23lb wing (I personally use 18lb for travel and 40lb for drysuit cold weather)
Hog ally plate

Thank you this is exactly the detail I'm looking for I'll price it out.

Back
Top Bottom