Travel tips - Outside US

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

plongere

Registered
Reaction score
Thought we would share a couple of travel tips from our recent out of country excursion.

o Lock your airline tickets in the hotel safe. Make several photo copies of your travel itinerary.

o Photocopy your passport (make several copies). Keep the original in the hotel safe and carry the copy with you. If you lose your passport the photocopies are invaluable.

o Put a copy of your passport and a copy of your itinerary along with hotel information in your luggage.

o Before you leave, make a complete inventory of all dive gear, cameras, watches, etc. Make sure you make a note of the serial nubmers. Take inventory to local US Customs office (you will need the items too) and get the forms to fill out and have them sign the forms indicating you have these items before you left. If you don't, you could have to pay duty on re-entry to the county.

o Photocopy your driver's license and social security card. You may need two copies of picture ID's for the police if you lose your passport.

o Photocopy your credit cards (front and back). Call the 800 numbers for lost/stolen cards before you leave and get the direct dial numbers. 800 numbers do not work from overseas.

o Make an inventory of everything in your wallet/purse you are taking with you. Leave behind stuff you don't need. Leave a copy of the inventory at home.

o If you lose anything, make sure you note the name, time and date you reported your loss to for your records.

o If you lose your passport you will need to do the following:

1. Notify local police and get police report. You will need this for the embassy, exit customs and airline.

2. Notify closest US consulate. They will ask for information from your passport (this is where the photocopy makes things a lot easier), a copy of the police report, and a copy of your flight itinerary. Depending on how long you have before your return, you may get either a new passport or a letter asking Customs to readmit you.

3. Contact your airline (in person). Tell them what happened. Show them a copy of your police report and that they should be contacted by the US consulate. They will tell you what procedures you have to follow at the airport to board to return to US.

I suggest working with your hotel, they can be an invaluable help, especially if there are lanugage problems, faxes to be sent,etc.

o Carry police report with you as ID as you complete your journey.

Oh and one final thought form personal experience. If you have dark colored (especially black) Pelican or similar box that you intend to keep things with you on the dive boat, get yourself an AOL or other free CDROM and glue it to the top and bottom of the box. It is impossible to find a black box on a blue green ocean!

Wow! Great tips. Never a bad idea to be cautious with passport and personal information.

So I hope these were observations as opposed to first hand experiences! If they were the latter, it sounds like an extremely long trip.

Those are great tips, now if only I could get out of the states and have a chance to try them. It looks like I will be diving Clear Springs in texas for a while longer :fire:

Big time Jim

I hope the advice was gleened from other people and passed on to us and you didn't have to suffer this first hand.

Tom

Beleive it or not, these were first hand experiences from our recent trip to Tahiti. I had a very senior moment and we lost our wallets, credit cards, money and passports etc. in a black Pelican box that is now floating somewhere in the South Pacific.

We did make the copies of our passports and our airline tickets were locked in the hotel safe. The rest was lost. Thanks to the hotel manager of Le Meridian Hotel, Air New Zealand and the embassy in Figi we made it home. On the way we met wonderful, friendly and helpful people.

Hope these ideas help! Thanks for the replies.

M. Plongere,

I used to travel to "third world" countries a lot and we had a list similar to yours. Here are some other items to consider:

(1) Before you go get the address and phone # of the local US embassy or consulate;

(2) Leave copies of the documents at home with people who you can trust to overnight them to you. Leave these folks a cc of your itinerary and the addresses and phone #'s of your hotels;

(3) This may be overkill, but take along your Congressman's phone #. You will be surprised at how fast an embassy will work when an elected official might be called in.

This is a lot of work and probably should only be done when going quite far from home. For places like the Bahamas it is probably overdoing it. For places like Fiji, South Africa, etc., they could make a substantial difference in getting home on a timely basis.

Joewr

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom