Travel Warning for MX

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think those of us that visit Coz regularly and certainly those with homes there understand very well that Cozumel is a relatively safe area and is not Cancun. But to many if not most Americans, Mexico is Mexico is Mexico. The question is how deep should the State Dept drill down for it's advisories.

Should it be a state(estado) level? Listing the states that are safe or dangerous. Or by areas and cities within a state? Listing the geographic areas or select cities within a state that are ok or not. Or maybe which parts within the city or times of day? Perhaps San Miguel is fine west of 65th during daylight but maybe risky east of 65th at night?

It's called the State Department. It is intended to deal with other countries on a state(pais) level not a region or city level. So while I recognize as well as anyone else here that Cozumel is not equivalent to mainland Yucatan in terms of safety, it really isn't the State Dept. obligation to drill down that deeply. That they break advisories down to regions in Mexico is already something they wouldn't do for many other countries.

I have to wonder if the state QR made the list and then the State Department just add some towns to kinda of place it. Like, you know QR, it include Cancun, Coz, etc etc. So maybe it wasn't pointed at Coz, but rather giving an idea where QR is? Still looks bad, but maybe not so intentional?

I think you're right. The list referenced in post #1 (I see no current mention of QRoo on state.gov website) does not exclude any part, it says Quintana Roo (includes ...) as you mentioned. The State Dept site says it provides alerts and warning for travelers to decide whether or not to visit a country, not a particular city or region or island. That they provide a state-by-state assessment for Mexico is beyond the call of duty and they don't do that for any other country. I don't think they are trying to provide a city-by-city assessment.

Just for point of clarity, don't say 'home invasion.' That is more correctly applied to crimes where a home is entered and the occupants detained during what is actually a robbery. It implies a violence not really happening.

Simple burglaries do occur and sometimes occur while the residents are present, I guess owing to the restrictions on how one can defend oneself under Mexican law. However, all reports I have read are common burglars with no desire to be confronted. They run away if detected like their pants were on fire. Hence they do not represent a physical danger to a victim, just a monetary one.

These sorts of burglaries might be on the rise in Cozumel, but relative to its size, not unexpected. The prosecution of offenders, especially juveniles, appears to be challenging in their legal environment.

That isn't really true. Sure the police would arrest and detain, even charge and jail an offender if the saw it. It might vary a bit place to place, at some point a victim would be required to be a victim, certainly at a trial. A victim that refused to cooperate will doom a case in the end. They would most likely drop the case and the criminal would be freed.

Hi Chief thanks for your insight. This article is in todays news and it is similar to others I have read regarding how criminals are handled. This might be "a little too close to home" for some here on SB.

Citizens seize the offender

COZUMEL, September 5 .- A subject was arrested by citizens, who assured the police that they discovered it at the time of entering to steal an address in the colony Centro. He assaulted the owner of the property and threatened to kill the people, although the municipal police were responsible for leaving him only 36 hours of arrest without turning to the Public Prosecutor for trespassing.
Around 8:40 hours on Tuesday, a subject was arrested inside a building located on 15 avenue between 7 and 9 south of the colony Center, because he allegedly had entered stealth to steal.
A neighbor noticed the intruder and made it known to the owner of the house in question and accompanied by other people, entered to secure the subject of this subject who managed to hit the owner of the house, however, because of the numerical superiority was secured promptly.
The municipal police were informed that they sent a patrol many minutes later, although among the people they obtained the arrest of this individual, who made threats against them telling them that he would kill them.
He was transferred to the preventive jail, nevertheless, it did not happen more because the agents only considered him like a detained by administrative lack and it was not taken to the Public Prosecutor's Office of the State because they had already passed two hours.
With this action, it seems that the elements are apparently failing to complete the necessary formats and turn it to the Prosecutor's Office immediately, as the Code of Criminal Procedure cites, for that reason, this individual will be released after 36 hours.

Last edited:
yikes. That right there is enough to keep me away from Mexico.
That's really old news. She was a victim of Selective Enforcement, which happens everywhere, even here in the US. I don't think that this particular thing happens that often. I only know of the one incident - when was it? Three or four years ago?

Many of us bring small quantities of pseudoephedrine into Mexico to try to keep our sinuses/ears clear enough to dive. No one is going to be able to start a meth lab with 24 (or whatever) Sudafed tablets, and it's in no one's best interest to make a drug bust over it.

My advice to anyone who wants to bring Sudafed into Cozumel, and I have certainly never done it, is this: Be discrete. Put it somewhere where a casual look by Customs if you get the red light won't come across it. Otherwise, don't worry about it.

For the record, did I mention that I have never done any such thing and everything I have said is pure conjecture on my part?

I buy the generic kind, which I imagine are a different color or shape, take them out of the package, and combine them with another med, such as with the bottle of Tums, or whatever. They're both of stomach issues if it goes that far.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom