Travel Warning for MX

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In Cozumel last week I asked the bartender at my hotel his take on local crime. In his words, "The island is ok and very safe. On the mainland there are too many pistolas. I just stay here on the island". If it works for the locals then it works for me.

So what is your response to this USA Today article? Again my point is not related to what Cancun has been but what is happening now and what it may become. I think caution is appropriate. https://usat.ly/2vsKt43

I'm talking about Cozumel. There has ALWAYS been a lot of crime and cartel activity in Cancun, it's just become more public now.

Comparing Cancun to Cozumel is like comparing Chicago to Paris, TX (small town)

You are right. My mistake. Sorry. I know they are close but apparent Cozumel has not been affected by this increase in crime. I hope it stays that way.

That's true- if no complaint is filed
Nothing is done - isn't that true anywhere? But again, the travel advisory isn't about home Invasions (which happen everywhere) - it's about things that have happened on the mainland that have nothing to do with the island.

No, if someone tries to break into a locked store and the police see them, they will be arrested and charged, with or without the store owner. Even if the victim is afraid to come forward, the crimes are considered a crime against society and the criminal will be prosecuted.

From what I'm reading there are people who are cancelling their trips to Cozumel or at least considering it. Has there been any noticeable effect on the tourism and dive trade yet? Are the cruise ships still stopping in San Miguel? Are prices going to go down? If so, I may book another trip there this year.

I've got Dave and Christi to protect me: I ain't skeered. I'll vote with my wallet and will be there next year! :D :D :D

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

A few pages back, I warned people not to inject politics into this forum. Since that warning wasn't heeded, that post, and several others quoting or referring to it have been removed. Marg, SB Senior Moderator

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

A few pages back, I warned people not to inject politics into this forum. Since that warning wasn't heeded, that post, and several others quoting or referring to it have been removed. Marg, SB Senior Moderator
Was my post about the actual population of Playa del Carmen and the actual number of murders in Q. Roo, Cancun, Playa and Cozumel interpreted by someone as a political statement? I was trying to inject some hard facts into the conversation and steer it away from political opinions! I think the info I provided helps the uninformed to make a better decision on whether Cozumel was safe or not and helped put the US State Department's travel warning in perspective.

Was my post about the actual population of Playa del Carmen and the actual number of murders in Q. Roo, Cancun, Playa and Cozumel interpreted by someone as a political statement? I was trying to inject some hard facts into the conversation and steer it away from political opinions! I think the info I provided helps the uninformed to make a better decision on whether Cozumel was safe or not and helped put the US State Department's travel warning in perspective.
No, but it included references to another post that was deleted. When we do a thread clean-up, everything referencing the moderated post gets removed as well. It was out of context without that post and the ones that quoted/referenced it. If you want to take another run at it, feel free.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom