Travel Warning for MX

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Also, just because a crime is investigated it doesn't mean that it is solved or that anyone is apprehended or punished. For example, there have been several breakins/burglaries in my neighborhood (my home included) over the last 20 years or so; in my case the police showed up, looked around, sympathized, and that was about it. None of the other cases resulted in any sort of solution, either.

Well there was what is being reported as a gang shooting in a store on 5th ave in Playa last night. I am going to Coz next Friday and actually staying in Playa 1 night. It isn't changing my plans.

I come to Cozumel several times a year and have always felt safe. We will be there in February and back again in June for our grandaughters 16th birthday trip with all our children and their significants. That said, I travel with 5 friends for an annual March trip. We went to Playa this year and the ladies liked it so much 2 booked trips to the same resort with their daughters. They had a great time. Felt safe and enjoyed the food and drink. After this news and the tainted alcohol story they will not even consider Mexico for our trip next year. Sounds like they are not alone in eliminating Mexico as a vacation destination.

Public Service Announcement!!! Guessing that many posters, as I, have enrolled in the STEP (Smart Traveler Enrollment Program) program in which, once you add your travel destination with the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate, you receive security messages and it makes it easier to locate you in an emergency.

I have received 2 messages in the last 2 days for the Netherlands related to a terrorist threat and a hand grenade being discovered, although I'm only going to St. Maarten in the very near future.

Haven't received any messages for MX yet as I have a trip planned for Cabo San Lucas early next year (although the same warning info others posted was provided to me when I added the trip.) Expect something as that trip gets closer.

Along the same lines, when I was staying north of PDC in 2010 and traveled farther south, there were armed security at the checkpoint. Last year, when doing the same thing, I expected to see security, but the checkpoints were vacated. Was 2010 a bad year for some reason?

Along the same lines, when I was staying north of PDC in 2010 and traveled farther south, there were armed security at the checkpoint. Last year, when doing the same thing, I expected to see security, but the checkpoints were vacated. Was 2010 a bad year for some reason?

There have been armed municipal police, (and some federal), for many years. The checkpoints may have been "vacant", because, like here in the US, cops need their donuts.

So you are saying crimes in Germany, France, the U.K. or Norway are not investigated?
I wasn't referring to developed countries...so yes, France is questionable :)

There have been armed municipal police, (and some federal), for many years. The checkpoints may have been "vacant", because, like here in the US, cops need their donuts.

So glad I didn't have a drink in my mouth as I read this!

Personally, I think it would go a long way towards getting them off the travel advisory list if they spent a little time tightening up security and addressing whatever issues there are. So far, it's just a lot of denying there is a problem. Maybe there is not a problem - I sure hope so because I'm planning to go to Cozumel next year. However, the things that Cozumel are saying is pretty much the same thing that the Cancun (and Mexico as a whole) folks are saying. Why would the state department choose to believe one and not the other?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom