Travel Warning for MX

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The shooting at the BPM festival last Jan was the event that got international coverage. It was gang on gang, Zetas vs Pelones. Most if not all of the shootings have not been directed at tourists.

Coz has seen an increase in criminal activity. One of the local police cars and one of their shacks were set on fire. The increase mostly involves break in burglaries to businesses, an increase in home break ins, and an increase in purse snatching of locals. None are directed at tourists.
This is really disheartening to hear! We've thought about renting a place in Coz and spending half the year there. :(. Maybe we will take a '"wait and see" approach for now. We've really loved the place and the people - and needless to say, the diving of course.

This is really disheartening to hear! We've thought about renting a place in Coz and spending half the year there. :(. Maybe we will take a '"wait and see" approach for now. We've really loved the place and the people - and needless to say, the diving of course.

You missed my point, the minor increase in activity affects locals and store owners not tourists. It is still very safe in Cozumel.

I read this thread and it makes me sad. Are situations getting worse in some places? Sure (least of all Coz)…but there’s a lot more reporting going on now than in the past. Everyone has a cell phone and there’s lots of 24/7 news with nothing better to do than sensationalize it.

Be smart and use common sense (just like you would anywhere else). Again IMHO, you can get out and see this big, beautiful, world warts and all, or you can curl up on your sofa with your bubble-wrap blankey and twitter your angst. For me, I’m goin’ diving. Be safe…have fun…safe diving :)

Last edited by a moderator:
January I was on Cozumel when the deal happened in Playa, If I hadn't seen it on this site I would not have known it happened. The stuff you hear about happening in Cozumel would barely even make the news around here. There was a cartel assassination of a lawyer about 5 miles from my house a few years ago. If you go looking for trouble I am sure you can find it but I think you would have to look pretty hard.

True or not I don't know but the damage is done already with this warning

Interesting that I just received an email from the "This Is Cozumel" newsletter I subscribe to with the top item being to complete a Facebook poll on how safe I feel in Cozumel. Coincidence?

Guys. Herion, Fentanyl or "prescription pain pills" it's all opoid addiction and an addict will likely have been on any or all at one time or another. They will take what they can get.

From my perspective its the prescription pain killers that is the target for current national antidrug campaigns including PSAs for the general public and medical inservices, conferences and limitations placed on length of opioid treatment for acute pain for the medical community.

Last edited:
Interesting that I just received an email from the "This Is Cozumel" newsletter I subscribe to with the top item being to complete a Facebook poll on how safe I feel in Cozumel. Coincidence?

No coincidence at all and I don't think it's intended to pretend it's not. Cozumel
Was lumped in with Cancun and Playa del Carmen erroneously and people who don't know any better don't understand that lumping Cozumel in with those cities would be like lumping in any small town USA with any large town USA.

You missed my point, the minor increase in activity affects locals and store owners not tourists. It is still very safe in Cozumel.
I'm still going to Cozumel! I won't avoid the place. I will keep an eye on whether the crime continues to rise or if trousrists become a target. I love the place and the people are great. I was only referring to actually moving to Coz. Only time will tell on that kind of move. We are still considering renting a place there long term.

No coincidence at all and I don't think it's intended to pretend it's not. Cozumel
Was lumped in with Cancun and Playa del Carmen erroneously and people who don't know any better don't understand that lumping Cozumel in with those cities would be like lumping in any small town USA with any large town USA.
You're right about that. Coz is the one of the jewels of MX and definitely not like PDC or Cancun.

Last edited by a moderator:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom