Travel with Fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Alexx007

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hey guys,

I'm heading off to Asia for a few months. I'm not taking too much gear, just the basics. Mask, fins, computer and camera. The mask, computer and camera with be in my carry-on, but I'm not too sure what to do with my fins. I will only be travelling with a 75 L backpack and a carry-on normal sized backpack. I would like to have them with me, for obvious reasons. Although I have to double check with the airline (Air Canada) to see if they would allow fins on the plane. And I'm not 100% if they will fit inside my backpack, though I may be able to attach them to the outside. My other option would be to pack them in my big, checked backpack. I'm just a tad concerned as we all know how nicely bags are transferred from plane to plane... So, just curious, what have you guys done for travel? Am I just being paranoid about checking them?

Opinions and suggestions greatly appreciated! :)

I bought some Hollis F2s, very light and very small. In ten years of travel diving I've never had anything go missing. As long as you are not using a Scuba branded bag which screams "expensive gear inside" you'll be fine. On a side note the F2s will fit in carry on if you are that worried, ditto Aqualung Hotshots. Good luck.

I bought some Hollis F2s, very light and very small.

How to travel with your dive gear? Divers have been asking this question for a long time.

Most of the time, the equipment you use for your local diving is rarely travel friendly. For example, I like to use the Hollis F1 Bat Fins when I do my diving at home, but they are heavy and not good for travel.

The good news is, dive manufacturers have consider this and have come out with low-cost, travel friendly options.

When it come to travel fins, the Hollis F2s are a good choice. Or consider my personal favorite, the Aqua Lung HotShot Fins. The HotShot fins are light weight and built for travel. They actually fit in a carry-on sized bag and can be worn with or without socks. The HotShots may look whimpy, but they actually pack a powerful kick.

Hope this helps! Have a great trip!

I routinely check my fins and other than late arrival, no problems. I have seen others post that they carry them onto the plane with them but I have not tried it.

How to travel with your dive gear? Divers have been asking this question for a long time.

Most of the time, the equipment you use for your local diving is rarely travel friendly. For example, I like to use the Hollis F1 Bat Fins when I do my diving at home, but they are heavy and not good for travel.

The good news is, dive manufacturers have consider this and have come out with low-cost, travel friendly options.

When it come to travel fins, the Hollis F2s are a good choice. Or consider my personal favorite, the Aqua Lung HotShot Fins. The HotShot fins are light weight and built for travel. They actually fit in a carry-on sized bag and can be worn with or without socks. The HotShots may look whimpy, but they actually pack a powerful kick.

Hope this helps! Have a great trip!

Personally I would, and did, choose the F2s over the Hotshots, the Hotshots have 4 "power" bands which can and do break, i have also heard of the silicone straps breaking. Of course you could always carry some spares in your save a dive kit but for me the use of spring straps and a more sturdy construction made the F2s the winner for travel diving. Although have never used them I have heard many positive reports on the performance of the Hotshots.

I have a set of travel gear that goes everywhere and with my clothing and sundries and BCD, mask, fins, lavacore hoody, comp, wetsuit etc checked in and have never had a problem on a plane. I dont travel with expensive fins or fins that have springs or straps for the simple reason I may be somewhere where spare parts are not readily available and carting spares = weight. My bag has no logos or anything distinguishing to make anyone want to have a peak inside - its actually got mesh inserts which I think deters anyone from looking inside because it just looks full of womens clothes if anyone really wanted to peek.
I have carried fins on planes under my arm and slipped them under the seat if im doing a short island to island trip and have never had complaint from any airline so far.

Hey guys,

I'm heading off to Asia for a few months. I'm not taking too much gear, just the basics. Mask, fins, computer and camera. The mask, computer and camera with be in my carry-on, but I'm not too sure what to do with my fins. I will only be travelling with a 75 L backpack and a carry-on normal sized backpack. I would like to have them with me, for obvious reasons. Although I have to double check with the airline (Air Canada) to see if they would allow fins on the plane. And I'm not 100% if they will fit inside my backpack, though I may be able to attach them to the outside. My other option would be to pack them in my big, checked backpack. I'm just a tad concerned as we all know how nicely bags are transferred from plane to plane... So, just curious, what have you guys done for travel? Am I just being paranoid about checking them?

Opinions and suggestions greatly appreciated! :)

I've seen people attach and bring their skateboard as carry on. Usually on a skateboard backpack w/ the two straps in the back. As long as your full carry on is within dimensions including (within reason) the danglies on the outside, you should be fine. Check with your airlines to see if there are any exclusions of the sort.

Air France and Delta have allowed friends and myself to do just that for international, for as much as that will help.

Thanks for the input!

I'm going to be in one place for most of the time, completing my DMT, so I'd prefer to have my good pair of fins.
I will have to measure them in my pack/ contact the airlines!

Personally I would, and did, choose the F2s over the Hotshots, the Hotshots have 4 "power" bands which can and do break, i have also heard of the silicone straps breaking. Of course you could always carry some spares in your save a dive kit but for me the use of spring straps and a more sturdy construction made the F2s the winner for travel diving. Although have never used them I have heard many positive reports on the performance of the Hotshots.

Hey Buddhasummer,

The Hollis F2's are great fins, but the Hotshots are lighter weight and fit great into a carry-on bag. I have had my Hotshots since they first hit the market, and have used them on hundreds of dives ranging from California Kelp to exploring shipwrecks to drifting along tropical reefs. I'm still on the first set of powerbands and straps. However, I have heard of them breaking, so it is not a bad idea to carry a spare.

I've never actually traveled with the F2's and might have to give them a try on my next trip...they are really nice fins.

Alex007
At 21 inches my Aqualung Sling Shots fit inside my CamelBak BFM backpack (my carry-on) with my reg, computer, toiletry bag, mask, and a change of clothes (with room to spare). They have been spectacular travel fins for me these past two years; i've even had them in the pool pushing doubles around with no issues. I do carry a spare set of power bands with me just in case, but the bands and heal strap show no signs of stress after ~80 dives and two years of use.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom