Traveling to Manila on Business Early November - Looking for a dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nomad

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I will be traveling to Manilla for business in the next couple of weeks.

I may possibly be able to dive on November 3rd and November 10th.

From Manilla, it looks like Subic Bay might be a possible dive site.

I have a few questions...

Is Subic Bay my best option? (I think I'll be staying in Makati City)

What is my best option for a dive shop?

Should I expect boat dives or are there shore dives?

What is the best way to find a dive buddy while I am there?

It will probably take you just as long to go to Subic Bay as to Anilao.

If you are looking for a buddy, Anilao might be a better choice because a lot of weekend divers got out there vs Subic. You can start a thread in this forum and ask if anyone is willing to buddy up with you on those dates. Most likely, you can hitch a ride with them too.

As for Subic, Andy (DevonDiver) is a regular Subic diver so you may want to buddy up with him if you like to go diving there. He is quite active in this forum.

I will be traveling to Manilla for business in the next couple of weeks.

I may possibly be able to dive on November 3rd and November 10th.

From Manilla, it looks like Subic Bay might be a possible dive site.

I have a few questions...

Is Subic Bay my best option? (I think I'll be staying in Makati City)

What is my best option for a dive shop?

Should I expect boat dives or are there shore dives?

What is the best way to find a dive buddy while I am there?

Hi Nomad,

Basically you have three reasonable options, Anilao, Puerto Galera and Subic Bay. From Makati, Anilao is likely to be the closest, but there’s not much difference in travel between Anilao and Subic if you leave early and beat the traffic. Puerto Galera needs a little more planning, it can be done in a day trip but certainly isn’t recommended unless you can come back to Manila on the following morning (4th and 11th Nov).

The best location for you will depend on what type of diving you are looking for, if you like wrecks, then Subic is the place for you, if you aren’t a big fan of wrecks then Anilao is the better place for you. Alternatively there’s also the option of doing both, one each weekend.

Subic is a lot easier to reach by public transportation, however getting there and back in a single day isn’t an easy journey with diving in between. Anilao is much harder to get to; the only realistic options are to get a lift there and back or to pay for a private transfer from Manila - very expensive for a day trip!

We’re in Anilao most weekends, it’s no problem if you want to join anytime, we’re always happy to have other divers join us – no need for any fees or courses. Getting a lift down there is no problem on the Saturdays in general, although we normally return back on the Sunday afternoon rather than do a day trip.

For Subic diving, your best option is Andy Davis (DevonDiver) on SB, he can arrange trips for you as required.

Karl

Private transfer to both Anilao and Subic is around US$100.00 each way.
Add another $50.00 for Puerto Galera.
Pretty outrageous to pay for a day trip.

Just a heads up, November 1-4 will be a long weekend for most people in the Philippines. The travel back to Manila on Sunday will most definitely be heavier than usual.

I will be in Manila -actually Alabang around that same time. I was looking into diving Anilao. If you still need a buddy let me know, we can see if our schedules work out. I have not dive Subic yet, so that might also work.

I'm in Subic the 3rd-11th. Most likely not diving on the third though - redeye flight from Shanghai that morning. Staying / diving at Arizona

I will dive the Subic Bay area on Saturday, 11.10.

Unfortunately, the "cheaper" rooms at the Arizona appear to be sold out Friday night. As a result, I am looking at other options for my accommodation for that night.

I am a bit impressed with what I see regarding a dive shop called "Johan's Dive Resort".

What dive shop are you diving with on Saturday?

If Arizona is fully-booked, contact 'Coffeeshop Hotel'. They are just across/opposite from Arizona Resort and have rooms of an equivalent standard (air-con/wifi, clean and tidy) for about the same prices (maybe a little cheaper). You can still hang-out/eat/dive at Arizona Resort, if you stay at Coffeeshop.

Contact Us To: +632 4337532 / 9295671 / 9282101 / 9941145
Cell No: +63 9473241969 / +63 09052235745 / +63 09476902228 Book Now
US Number: +1-415-251-45-41, Skype id: manila.booking, YM id: bookingph@yahoo.com

I'm in/around Arizona Resort quite a bit this week (running a tech class) - say hello if you see me (Brit with short hair, wearing dark-blue shorts and a pair of blue Keen sandals). :D

Back
Top Bottom