Traveling with cameras and housings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd make sure to put the O-ring lube with the O-ring inside a ziplock if it is not the standard stuff. We split up the camera/housing/strobe with our carryons. In them, it is dive comps, regs, prescription masks, and personal hygiene stuff. The camera itself is usually easily gotten to in the carryon in case I see an interesting shot. I'd pull the o-rings because some housings will vent pressure and 8000ft can be tough to pop once you get back down.

mapb:
I would like to know from the members how they travel with their cameras and housings. Do you have any advice with placing the cameras into the housings (without the o-rings and without the door latched). I have currently been traveling with them out and I have 3 cameras and strobes. This takes up a lot of space in the carryon. Please let me know

for flying.....

camera - i remove the o-rings, put them in a bag, put that inside the housing with the camera then close it all up. that way, i know that if i have the housing, i also have the camera and the o-rings.

strobe - remove the battery compartment o-ring and put it into the previously mentioned bag. pop a set of batteries in, insulate one of the terminals with a piece of paper then replace the compartment cover. no need to keep the strobe o-ring with the strobe as if i don't have the housing / camera / housing o-rings then the strobe is useless to me anyway!

torches - normally just leave the o-rings in, but insulate a battery terminal to prevent accidental switch on. no problems doing this, so in theory, it shouldn't need to be done for housings, but making sure it's not pressure sensitive alleviates the possibility of a control o-ring dislodging.

carry on luggage, the limits are a bit draconian here in the uk, will consist of everything i need for the camera....housing, strobe, camera, o-rings, o-ring grease, batteries, chargers, image tank, memory cards and my dive computer. no part of this will go as hold luggage as just one piece going AWOL will spoil my day, hence i keep it all together. the other dive gear can always be hired when you get to the destination.

I'm still a bit confused on why you need to remove the o-ring if you take the case and camera into the cabin with you. The cabin is pressurized so I don't understand the problem.

I guess it's no big deal to remove the o-ring, and I definitely want to put the camera in the case and close it. Both units will fit into a small padded camera bag so it's a space saver having the camera inside the case.

I have another camera I use for land so I don't need to access the C5050 until I hit the water.

for the very same reason your ears hurt like crazy if you're flying with blocked ears due to a cold. the case will be closed at 1bar, the cabin will be slightly below this (not sure of the exact pressure difference) hence the o-rings will get stressed in the opposite direction to normal. this is fine if you only have a single o-ring but no camera case only has 1 o-ring. all the other 'hidden' ones are usually not user serviceable and you won't know if they've been dislodged until you hit the water.
i know after a flight i'll be opening the camera case to prep it all properly, so removing the o-rings for the flight is no big deal.
chances are, there is no need whatsoever but for the extra minute it takes to do this.....

A cabin may be pressurized but why take the chance of distorting the o-rings? I figure if there's enough pressure change to make my ears pop, it's enough to effect the housing.

If you don't want to remove the o-rings, you can still latch it to keep it closed, just don't clamp the housing shut.

Properly designed o-ring installations (they're supposed to sit in a groove in the shaft or housing) will take pressure from either side. They can't go anywhere if you reverse the pressure. If an o-ring is not in a groove (this may or may not be the case with some PT control seals) then it could possibly become misaligned with reverse pressure. Housings ship sealed. They most likely have been on a flight or two getting to you. They open. If closed at sea level it will open at sea level. I always check my video & now my still housing, closed & sealed. Never had a problem opening them. If you live at altitude & want to open at sea level, then you might want to remove the main o-ring. But still latch the housing. If the back is left loose it can move around & rub against the opposing surface, & could cause damage. Cabin pressure is about 0.7 atm - nothing to worry about.

I use one of those office business cases on wheels. I actually used it first to haul around my laptop on business, then borrowed it from the office to go on a dive trip. I liked it so much, I bought one for personal use! It holds my laptop, my pelican case with the housing, etc. Now that I'm buying a strobe, it could get more complicated, but you get the idea. Office Depot has lots of different ones to choose from - the main thing is to make sure it fits the airline requirements. If you have an Office Depot or Staples near you, I suggest you go there with your gear and try the different ones out.

Tricia

I use a bag from Travelsmith and an additional bag as my actual carry-on. The first is deemed a briefcase. Just got back from PNG where I carried 4 cameras, 2housings, ports, and 7 lens with no problems. Wrap the lens in bibble wrap and put 2 of the cameras in the houusings. Streobes etc. go in checked luggage.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom