Traveling with cameras and housings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dee:
I use a Lowepro Trim Trekker. These Photos show what goes into the backpack and sort of how it is packed. The only change is I'm nopw using an Inon D-180 strobe instead of the Sea & Sea YS90DX shown.

It's packed to the hilt but I don't have to check any photo gear.

I guess what I really want to know is, do you pack the camera in the housing to travel. I am going to take everything on the plane with me, but am trying to conserve space.
Thanks

Dee:
I use a Lowepro Trim Trekker. These Photos show what goes into the backpack and sort of how it is packed. The only change is I'm nopw using an Inon D-180 strobe instead of the Sea & Sea YS90DX shown.

It's packed to the hilt but I don't have to check any photo gear.

Dee - packed does that meet the size requirements for carry-on? Oh, and I didn't see your laptop??

On my last trip I packed my camera outside of my housing. Why? So I had the option to take pictures with it duriing the stopover, if I so chose. Before I had my S50 die from flooding, I did pack it inside of the housing. I wish I hadn't, it would have been nice to get some pictures of the Truk and Palau airports. I wouldn't recommend taking pictures in U.S. airports these days...

My camera travel back is a soft canvas duffel bag. I'm still looking for something I like better, but for the time being it gets the job done, and I won't be traveling again until next year. You typically get a carry on plus a handbag, so you can take your laptop on separate in a laptop carry case and put it under your seat. The C5050 is kind of large, but I found you can fit it into the laptop case and keep it separate from the rest of the housing.

mapb....In the past I've put the camera in the housing but I didn't tighten the latch, even tho it was in carry on, just in case. The Trim Trekker has a cool padded 'drawer' on the bottom and that's a good place to pack the camera. But like Nitrox mentioned, I like my camera handy for topside shots. I usually always wear a fanny pack to carry the tickets and other paperwork you have to keep dragging out, so I slip the camera in there.

Alcina....yes, the Trim Trekker is actually a bit smaller than the carry on limits. The laptop doesn't fit in it, all the other stuff fills it up! I can only fit one rig in it plus all the extras but Beast carries his own backpack and the laptop so it's not a problem.

We're seriously considering getting one of the many storage devices and leaving the laptop at home. That's alot of weight we're both tired of packing. At CCV, I can use the laptop in the photo shop to check out my pics if need be, Tim's always been nice about that. Plus, I find it's hard to just quickly view the pics. I want to start playing with PS and you know how involved you can get! I's rather take that time to swing in a hammock or get another night dive. :D

Thanks for letting me know, Dee.

Unfortunately I need the laptop for work stuff, even on my holidays - tried to leave it behind last time and nearly went crazy trying to get stuff done without it! If I could find a way to check it, I'd check it to...

I'll tell ya, last time I did the big trek I carried only a small leather backpack and it was heaven. I had two changes of clothes (I am the queen of packing), four books, my Jukebox, skin care, wallet and all the paperwork one needs. Perfect, didn't find I needed anything else and was actually able to pare it down for the return trip! Of course, I didn't have my camera system as it hadn't arrived in time :(

Especially when travelling economy class and the lovely person next to me always has their carryon and one personal item (I could have packed for a week in that bag - including shoes!) and so did every other inconsiderate being on the plane (if it takes two of you to force it into the overhead locker, it's too big! :11: ) so there was no room in the storage lockers so under the seat his stuff went...taking up MY foot space (had the new, improved seating with the weird middle section under the seats). Rant off, mostly...

If I ever get a chance to not have to deal with anything work related, I think a portable storage device is the way to go. You can usually find a computer somewhere to do a quick review of the images so you can adjust for the next day.

I'm getting so excited...only 32 more days!!

We're getting good with packing, too. If it wasn't for the camera gear, all we'd have is one gear bag each and no carry on! I have eBooks on my Palm Pilot and that is all I need for the flight.

This year I took 2pr shorts and 4 t-shirts and didn't wear half of them. I think the next trip is going to be really bare bones packing! But I still can't make myself check the camera gear! :wink:

But I still can't make myself check the camera gear! :wink:

I carried it for years, then decided that there were too many benefits - for me - in not doing that. Of course, one day, I'll probably get caught out...but knock wood it isn't soon!

This trip I will be looking for a bag that allows me to carry on at least a basic set-up for those trips when a larger carryon just isn't a total PITA (basically I get a bit grumpy sometimes on these epic trips and if I have to lug around less crap and open up less stuff for security I can maintain my normal perky attitude :07: ROTFLMAO!)

On one trip to Cozumel, back when I was using the old MMII film camera with dual strobes, I packed all the bits in a huge Pelican case and checked it. The case got there but someone had tried to pry open the locks! I had to have happened in Houston because in Coz you see them unload the plane on the tarmac and put it directly on the conveyer belt. That's the first and only time I tried it! And now that TSA doesn't want you to lock your bags, or at the best use zip ties, I have no faith in camera gear getting out of Houston IAH!

The way things are now with all the security checks and searches, it's a real pain when I've got the backpack packed to the hilt! They never let you un-pack the stuff yourself and then don't understand when it take a while to get in all back together!

The trial and tribulations of the traveling photographer! :D

Slightly off topic, but how much carry-on are you guys allowed? In the UK they only let us have 5kg (11lb). On 2 of my last trips to the red sea they've even weighed our carry-on and weighed it again at the departure desk. I know we were just unlucky on those trips but it does mean when I went a few weeks ago I decided to check all the camera gear in a pelican case (thanks ebay lol).

Scubapauly:
Slightly off topic, but how much carry-on are you guys allowed? In the UK they only let us have 5kg (11lb). On 2 of my last trips to the red sea they've even weighed our carry-on and weighed it again at the departure desk. I know we were just unlucky on those trips but it does mean when I went a few weeks ago I decided to check all the camera gear in a pelican case (thanks ebay lol).

You have to check with each airline for what they will actually allow. I think that there are different rules for different sectors, too.

I know that when I connect to our small airline here the cabins are small and "standard" airline carry-ons (22" long by whatever - 45" total I think) are too large and must be checked.

Always assume that you will have to check your carryon and pack it so you can get the essentials out easily.

Back
Top Bottom