Traveling with cameras and housings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mapb

Reaction score
I would like to know from the members how they travel with their cameras and housings. Do you have any advice with placing the cameras into the housings (without the o-rings and without the door latched). I have currently been traveling with them out and I have 3 cameras and strobes. This takes up a lot of space in the carryon. Please let me know

I have seen that some put the camera gear in pelican cases when they travel....I haven't traveled with my set up yet, I'm already there :)

I'm currently packing for a trip, taking my video & still systems. The video (except cameras) goes in a Pelican case, & is checked. Its kinda heavy due to batteries for the lights. The still system (5050, Tetra, 2 YS90DXs) goes in a carry-on. (Hope it all fits.) All the dive gear gets checked except computers. Each camera has its own padded pouch. Housing & strobes go in bubble wrap bags. I close & seal the Tetra (without camera). If you seal it at sea level, it will open at sea level. I always close & seal the video housing, check it & never had a problem opening it at my destination. First trip with Tetra, but same procedure. If you live much above sea level, then you might want to remove the main o-ring, but latch the back to keep it in place & prevent movement.

mapb:
I would like to know from the members how they travel with their cameras and housings. Do you have any advice with placing the cameras into the housings (without the o-rings and without the door latched). I have currently been traveling with them out and I have 3 cameras and strobes. This takes up a lot of space in the carryon. Please let me know

First of all - I don't usually travel to dive. So my advice is not from great experience.

Local - I pack it in my soft cooler. Also, from resort to boat to dive site and back - in the soft cooler.

But I just got back from a week long trip, and I packed the dive stuff (BC's, 3mm warmwater weenie suits, fins, masks, etc.) into the dive bags, with other not so valuable stuff. The regs, camera, housing, my strobes, gauges and other valuable stuff went into the carry on gear.

I carry a land camera case, so the cam was in there with the batts, bracket, flash, cards, etc. The housing, strobes and other UW stuff was wrapped in clothing and carried on.

It worked very well. If for some reason the dive bag went lost, I could rent all that stuff, use my own gas delivery system, gauges and would have my cam gear.

K

I'm headed to French Polynesia in two weeks. My plan is to place the C5050 in its PT-015 case and close the case. I will put the case in a small camera bag (provides nice padding) and then place that in a larger carry on bag along with my other camera equipment.

Should I assume if the PT-015 case was going to be in a checked in bag, and travel in a non-pressurized compartment then you shouldn't close the case?

THomas Marshall:
Should I assume if the PT-015 case was going to be in a checked in bag, and travel in a non-pressurized compartment then you shouldn't close the case?
If you travel with the orings removes you should have no trouble.

I check everything now except my laptop. Everything's insured. If it goes missing, well, I am out some dives with a camera unless I rent and it sucks but it isn't the end of the world.

And when my average travel time is 38 hours and a minimum of three airports, I just can't drag everything with me anymore! Knock wood that I keep having no problems.

I take as much as possible into the cabin in a padded camera bag or a hard cabin-sized suitcase.

My camera and strobe ( and regulator ) always travel in the with me in the cabin 'cos I'm always concerned as to how they'll be bashed about in the hold - you don't want to get to your destination to find the camera has been damaged or something shook loose.

Also sometimes, depending on what I'm carrying, I keep the casing with me too, though in general the casings can go in the hold as they're supposed to be able to take pressure but they should be in something rigid to prevent knocks or scrapes. If you do pack your casing and they're going in an aircraft hold take the o-rings out or you'll find it hard to open the case afterwards - believe me, it can be a real battle to open them up

I use a Lowepro Trim Trekker. These Photos show what goes into the backpack and sort of how it is packed. The only change is I'm nopw using an Inon D-180 strobe instead of the Sea & Sea YS90DX shown.

It's packed to the hilt but I don't have to check any photo gear.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom