Traveling with gear on airplane.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dadiver once bubbled...
What items are recommended to be carried on? As a note I will also be traveling with (2) two sets of gear (1) one Wife and (3) three Kids. I will definitely carry on our computers and Kids.
After reading all of the "bring it in carryon" posts, I'll put in a vote for the oppsosite --- If I'm bringing enough stuff that I have to check any bag, then I'll put virtually everything in the checked bag(s). It makes the trip much more convenient by not having to haul junk through the airports, and you would have to wait for your other checked bag anyway.

Properly packed, your reg will not have any problem in checked bags, nor will your dive computer. Most of the time I will even check my prescription mask. So far I haven't had any problem in the last 20 or so trips, and the one problem before that was simply a delayed bag that was brought to my hotel 4 or 5 hours after my arrival.

I always bring passport, cash and credit cards as carryon. Everything else (except the kids) is replaceable.

Just got back from a trip. Flew US Airways. They do reserve the right to charge extra for dive gear. I was prewarned not to mention what was in bag. One lady I was traveling with did mention she had dive gear at the counter and was informed she could be charged extra. She proceeded to argue and sort of ticked the guy off (even though he did not say he was going to charge her), and he still let her go. So it is a policy, but I do not how stringent it is inforced. These folks have a tough job, be nice to them!

TSA does not care. and will not tell the Airline if you have dive gear.

Last trip my fins where in the bottom of the bag and my bag got searched. The TSA guy said you got dive gear in here dont you? So I asked is the metal in the regs that makes you check it? He said no, your fins did not allow us a good scan. This trip the fins where packed in the sides of the bag and neither myself or my sons bags (packed same way) where searched.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom