Tried sidemount - good experience

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would have crashed the scooter. Did Chris from the shop take you out on the scooter?
Well, I went with a big subgravity scooter and one of their BP&W rigs (because I poor sob still am on a BCD :( and a crotch strap D-ring really was necessary for the ride) with my tank and my slung polo and soloed it.

That solo cert comes in handy.

We really need to get you in a BP/W.

That solo cert comes in handy.

We really need to get you in a BP/W.
Got BP, got W, got STA, but that harness only comes in tomorrow and today was my last pick-up opportunity before the trip to Key Largo... I bet there is decent diving there in a BCD too... but I still could use it there for other family members too (I hope).

The dark side is calling. I'm a recent convert and well hooked. Beach diving in recreational conditions. I do it with steel LP72s in a drysuit. You can dive with one tank (single sidemount), one tank and pony, or two tanks. It all depends on the dive. It is a very flexible and comfortable way to dive.

I'll be buying steel tanks over the winter and it would be nice if they could work for SM, too, as well as BM. DRIS has a few HP100s in their rental fleet I'll try soon to see how I like them.

I'll be buying steel tanks over the winter and it would be nice if they could work for SM, too, as well as BM. DRIS has a few HP100s in their rental fleet I'll try soon to see how I like them.

NOOOOO.... Do NOT use HP steel tanks for SM. They are too heavy and feel terrible underwater - at least in my opinion. You want fairly neutral tanks. AL 80s are great in warm water and with light wetsuits. I use LP steel 72s (the old ones) and they are great. I have heard that LP 85s are nice too.

Good news is a pair of LP 72s will cost you very little. My last pair off of Craigslist (in Hydro) were $50 for the PAIR.

NOOOOO.... Do NOT use HP steel tanks for SM. They are too heavy and feel terrible underwater - at least in my opinion. You want fairly neutral tanks. AL 80s are great in warm water and with light wetsuits. I use LP steel 72s (the old ones) and they are great. I have heard that LP 85s are nice too.

I dive cold(er) water in either a drysuit or a 5mm. I'm very floaty naturally. I need to carry nearly 30lbs with my drysuit. I am most definitely not a warm water diver. I love the cold water.(I also love winter). To give you an idea, I'll be doing ice diving class this winter if we have ice here.

HP100s are perfect for drysuit diving in mid-weight undies. I dive mine sidemount, with 400g undies and zero additional weight. HOG SM BC..

I dive cold(er) water in either a drysuit or a 5mm. I'm very floaty naturally. I need to carry nearly 30lbs with my drysuit. I am most definitely not a warm water diver. I love the cold water.(I also love winter). To give you an idea, I'll be doing ice diving class this winter if we have ice here.

I'm a cold water Monterey, CA diver. Use a drysuit and also needed 30# of ballast. I tried the HP80 and HP100 route for the same reasons. They are way too heavy on your sides and difficult to clip and unclip. Also you can't roll on your sides as well. I now have 22# of lead on my SM harness and my tanks are barely negative (LP steel 72s). They are easy to manipulate underwater, weigh less above water, and you stay in trim in any position.

HP100s are perfect for drysuit diving in mid-weight undies. I dive mine sidemount, with 400g undies and zero additional weight. HOG SM BC..

Big, strong person? Or petite one? I'm in between and have developed a strong preference. Of course everyone is different. Also have you ever tried more neutral steel tanks to compare? If it works for you, then keep doing it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom