Tried to Kill Myself but Failed!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Another observation; there appear to be a lot of tech divers posting in a Basic Scuba forum using tech protocols not applicable to Basic Scuba divers.

SeaRat
It doesn't look like a tech dive to me. But as far as the forum goes, I'd say any solo dive belongs in the Advanced instead of the Basic forum.

Still, any rec diver can learn some lessons about predive checks, bottom checks, not making assumptions, and problem solving under water.

For us colder water people, we tend to drag alot more stuff with us, which general masses southern diving don't worry about,

( thick gloves, heated suits, lights, lots of weight for dry or wet suit, cutting tools, lift bags and spool, pony bottles, even scooters etc)
All adds complexity.
@Marie13 is a cold water (great lakes) diver that deals with all those listed complexities for nearly every dive. Up until her recent CCR cert she was sidemount in the great lakes. She did full cave in sidemount as well, though that was in Mexico. She is most def qualified to make assumptions and statements about the ease of whatever dive and how basic it may be.

@Marie13 is a cold water (great lakes) diver that deals with all those listed complexities for nearly every dive. Up until her recent CCR cert she was sidemount in the great lakes. She did full cave in sidemount as well, though that was in Mexico. She is most def qualified to make assumptions and statements about the ease of whatever dive and how basic it may be.

I never did OC SM on the Great Lakes. I will say that going for a bimble in a cold quarry or inland lake is normal for me. When you dive dry for pretty much everything, it’s just normal.

I never did OC SM on the Great Lakes. I will say that going for a bimble in a cold quarry or inland lake is normal for me. When you dive dry for pretty much everything, it’s just normal.
Sorry, I thought you'd switched to sidemount OC in the lakes and not the quarries. I'll need to reread your thread 🙃

Sorry, I thought you'd switched to sidemount OC in the lakes and not the quarries. I'll need to reread your thread 🙃

That’s why I went 3 years without any wreck diving until I got my CCR.

Thank you for sharing. That's an awesome real life example of human factors and the swiss cheese model.

@NW Dive Dawg What changes have you implemented since this?
  • Intensify / augment my pre-splash self inspection routine.
  • Fully reconfirm all equipment configurations and functions once at depth.
  • Check gauges more early and often for any irregularities or abnormalities.
  • Carry my back mounted pony 2nd stage on a necklace bungee.
  • Changed out my mouthpiece on my pony 2nd stage to a custom Seacure which is distinctly different from the Comfobite that I use on my primary.
PS..... maybe someone needs to invent a mouthpiece with an infused "bitter" taste! In an emergency, who would care.

Two brains catch more mistakes than one brain.

Not really.
And it’s been shown empirically in aviation.

The data has shown (do your own research, I don’t care enough about you to do it for you) that when you put two competent pilots in the front seats, many times when a mistake is made, neither pilot will correct the mistake. It’s unclear if this is from fear of retribution, fear of being wrong about the problem or correction, but several times, no correction was made, ending very badly. I actually saw this first hand with two very seasoned airline pilots where the senior guy truly screwed up a startup on a turbo prop. The co-pilot witnessed the screw-up but was afraid to speak up, resulting in about a million dollars worth of damage. Two brains didn’t seem to help that situation at all.

I’ve seen the same thing when teaching cave or CCR classes. I actually test it as an IT. Three candidates watching one another teach or demonstrate skills, where I have instructed the demonstrator to purposely screw up. Neither is the other two candidates will speak up, I’m guessing out of fear.

You’ll say that it’s apples and oranges, but it’s not. How many people on the boat knew that Pete Sotis and Rob shouldn’t make a 3rd dive? But no one spoke up.

Anyway, point being that an extra brain doesn’t automatically mean safer. And if you’re diving in a manner where you’re relying on someone else to save you from a screw-up, you’re going to find out sooner or later that you placed your faith in complacency, and I hope you survive it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom