Trim and ballast

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aloha Joe

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I’m diving a 6lb Freedom Plate, 3/2 full wetsuit, AL80 tank, and 6-8lbs lbs lead on my upper cam band.

1) Does it sound right that I need ballast up that high? I relaxed trim check results in my head sinking, but that’s with my legs straight out which is not a normal diving position for me (unless I really need to start finning). Note: my excess body fat is around my torso.

2) What are some ideas to move the weight off the cam band? Assuming 1) is OK, a weight belt puts the weight too low. Are there other ergonomic/streamlined ideas besides weight harness/suspenders?

Thanks,
Joe

I think so, but it’s a new wetsuit so I’m still figuring things out.

Does 12lbs total weight sound like a lot for 3mm full suit and AL80 tank?

Should I check trim with legs bent and arms crossed? They say to relax your body, which I take as not intentionally bending anything. But that’s not normal diving position, so....

Last edited:
You could also gorilla tape 1 lb. or 1/2 lb. flat lead ingots part way down your plate. Or first put a boltsnap on them and see how far down your body they are needed by clipping them off and tucking them into snoopy bands on your front straps as if they were flashlights. By having extra snoopy loops you can move the loop they clip into and the loop you tuck them under down your body/strap. Lead Mini Ingot Pure 99.9% ~ 1 Pound

Normal frog kick pose (knees at 90) would be best for checking your trim. Maybe cross the ankles and grip hands so you do not wave them about any.

I'd keep some removable. One other option is tape/ziptie a small pocket on either side of the plate back, but I do not know what holes the freedom plate has for that sort of thing. Essentially the same as a cam band pocket, but closer to your back and more freedom of where you put it, assuming convenient holes in the plate to back up its attachment with something sturdy like zip ties.

Last edited:
2 lb lead ankle weight around the tank valve really has a powerful effect.

Have some individual weights you can remove, I use a pocket weight belt, and on your way back in at 15' with about 500# of gas, empty your BC and remove weights until you are neutral. you can rest the weights on the bottom or hand them off to your buddy . This will give you a good idea what weight you should have in a perfect world. I dive with a couple of pounds more because the world isn't perfect, and I don't want to be light at the stop.

Others have good advice about moving the weight around, once it is right.

Bob

2 lb lead ankle weight around the tank valve really has a powerful effect.

1) don’t put a weight around the tank valve.

2) he says he’s head heavy...even if that was a good idea, wouldn’t it make him head heavIER?

I didn't communicate well. What I was trying to say was if you want to get 6-8 pounds off of the upper cam band then a more effective place to put it is on the neck of the tank and 2 lbs does the trick. Put the rest on the waist and check again. A zip tie and a two lb lead weight is an easy test and will tell him if he should purchase a 2 or even a 1 or 1.5 ankle weight. Of course there are many that would say this can be accomplished with body position and experience but I'm not that good I guess. In fresh water and steel tanks I dive with no weight and my trim is perfect and relaxed. In salt with al80s I'm using 6 on my waist and two on the tank neck to get the same relaxed comfort.

Does 12lbs total weight sound like a lot for 3mm full suit and AL80 tank?

Should I check trim with legs bent and arms crossed? They say to relax your body, which I take as not intentionally bending anything. But that’s not normal diving position, so....
You need to test your weight amount. No other way.

You should be able to stay at 10’ with no air in your BC and a near empty. If you haveto put air in your BC then you have too much weight.

In fresh water and steel tanks I dive with no weight and my trim is perfect and relaxed. In salt with al80s I'm using 6 on my waist and two on the tank neck to get the same relaxed comfort.

There are more productive ways to accomplish the same thing. You are running 8lbs in Saltwater, but it’s all in the wrong places. Weightbelts will ensure you are foot heavy. If you absolutely have to put weight on a belt, use as little as possible. My guess is that if you have a camband pouch, you can move ALL the weight from the “valve” and most of the weight from the waist there...and achieve the same result.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom