Trim weight where?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

See how your fins are pointing up vertically? That is usually a sign that you're unbalanced and are trying to compensate. Yes, usually head heavy or not wearing enough weight to maintain a 10 foot stop with a depleted tank at the end of the dive and using your fins to maintain position.
Also, once your fins straight go up your resistance to pitching up or down is greatly reduced. Your fins have a lot of surface area that resists feet movement up or down while level. Once they are straight up it's much easier to raise or drop your feet.

You could also try heavier fins, or trim weights strapped close to the bottom of the tank..

How about some paddle fins with that are either neutral or slightly negative?

I dive drysuit and many of the people I dive with use ankle weights. They also seem to be the ones diving with lightweight fins. My wife and I dive with Turtle, HOG, or OMS fins and never needed weights.

Another option is to add a pound or two on an extra cam band at the bottom of the tank. I have some LP 95s that are short and heavy, add a SS plate and my center of gravity moves forward and makes my feet get floaty when I am in my dry suit, so I move a couple of pounds from my weight harness to the bottom of the tank.

I have an extra tank band for that purpose, but I worried it would slide off. It is just simple webbing. Maybe some inner tubing would make it stick.

When you say "belt" are you refering to the waist belt or a weight belt? I switched from weights-in-pockets-on-waist-belt @ the BP to weights on rubber weight belt just below the BP and that made a HUGE difference. I LOVE the rubber weight belt with discrete curved 1 lb. weights. You should also flex your butt and consciously point your toes @ the ankles so the fins are flat and not pointing up. You can practice this on the living room floor while you are watching TV. Only your pelvis and abs should be touching the floor. It's a great exercise.

I dive a BP/W and am 5'0". Tropical waters only.
Towards the end of my dives, my feet float up. I don't think ankle weights are a good idea, especially because of currents. So where am I left with to put trim weights? I did try moving weights on the belt to the back & that didn't help.

Thanks in advance!
An easy fix might be wearing fins that are more negative such as rubber fins like Hollis F1 or Scubapro Jet fins.

I dive a BP/W and am 5'0". Tropical waters only.
Towards the end of my dives, my feet float up. I don't think ankle weights are a good idea, especially because of currents. So where am I left with to put trim weights? I did try moving weights on the belt to the back & that didn't help.

Thanks in advance!

I assume you are in a wet suit? Try borrowing a heavier set of fins from a dive partner (Jet fins, Hollis F1's, etc.). Concentrate on keeping your head/chin up and arms up but not too far out in front will help to shift weight back.

I assume you are in a wet suit? Try borrowing a heavier set of fins from a dive partner (Jet fins, Hollis F1's, etc.). Concentrate on keeping your head/chin up and arms up but not too far out in front will help to shift weight back.
Just diving in Lycra because of bath tub like temperatures. I can't simply borrow others fins because of my small shoe size.

Going to try putting weight on a tank.....December. That's my next trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom