Trip Report - Buceo Anilao - March 2017

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AlMitch

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My wife and I are avid muck lovers!! After going to Lembeh 3 times, Tulamben 3 times and Bangka (which has tons of great macro) 3 times I decided it really was time to see whether Anilao could "out-marco" these 3 macro giants!

If you've read any of my other trip reports you will know I travel with the whole family, which now means a very energetic 4 year old and a particularity clumsy 18 month old! Therefore we don't dive as much as we would like too! Typically we dive once in the morning and once in the afternoon and then a night dive or two thrown in. We therefore look for a dive resort that allows this sort of schedule.
After much searching (including scoring this forum, thanks to all that have posted!!) and deliberating I ended up deciding on Buceo Anilao. And right from the very first email they impressed me. The speed and completeness of their correspondence was 5 star!

We are blessed to live in Singapore, which means a simple 3hr flight to Manila. Given the cheap flights it also means we are able to take our helper along with us, so she is there to look after the kids while we go bubble blowing.

Buceo Anilao arranged all the transfers and they were smooth as silk. The drive from the airport to Anilao took 2.5hrs and then you hop on one of their bangka's for a 5min ride to the resort.
The resort looks great from the water and we were welcomed warmly and given a something cool to drink.
You then are taken up, up, up, up to your room! I counted 93 steps from the restaurant to our room!! BUT for your efforts you are awarded with an incredible view.

33830102585_e2848e683b_h.jpg
IMG_8045 by Angmo Al, on Flickr

The rooms are big, clean and comfortable. AC worked well, but hot water pressure was a tad "dribbly" but that's the only negative thing I can think of concerning the accommodation.
Food at the restaurant is usually Ala-cart and they have a fairly diverse menu, BUT the food was quite variable from day to day. One day an item would be amazing the next day the same item would be yuck (to quote my 4yr old). But on the whole the food was pretty decent.

The staff really did take care of us and the our kids. It is a happy place to be. And the bar area is a great place to grab a beer or cocktail.

33830099755_0ecf3a655f_h.jpg
IMG_8031 by Angmo Al, on Flickr

My kids spent many hours in the lovely pool. Which on on side was only chest deep and the other was 3m deep and used for scuba training. The "beach" in front of the resort is a rocky beach and

OK onto the diving. I came to Anilao with fairly high exceptions but unfortunately they were not really met. Many of the critters were still in hiding after the Christmas hurricane. Also the viz was typically less than 10m. And the water was COLD! Yes I'm a softy! 25 deg C is very cold for me and my 2mm wetsuit! Within 15min my teeth were chattering underwater. It's amazing what a big difference 3 degrees makes!! BUT I rented a nice new 5mm wetsuit from the resort and then I was much more comfortable and could last 70min underwater.
Unfortunately I never saw any "interesting" octopi, or Rhino's (even though we went rhino hunting down to 34m one dive), we saw very few frog fish, and only one or two new (to me) nudi's. On the whole the overall critter count was definitely well below Lembeh and about on par with Tulamben. BUT then again the hurricane could be to blame!
Don't get me wrong I still enjoyed the diving and I definitely saw many wonderful critters, such as cute yellow gobies, a juv hairy froggy, lots of little shrimps, including the stunning coleman shrimp, the iridescent bobtail squid, some interesting big sea snails, a few eels etc. Unfortunately the viz did not allow any WA photography but the reef dives that we did were well covered in hard and soft corals and quite pretty.
I definitely will return to give it another go.
33012188133_ba5e72823e_z.jpg
_DSC9888 by Angmo Al, on Flickr
33696174511_fd924a5d61_z.jpg
_DSC9865 by Angmo Al, on Flickr

One morning we rented one of the Bangka's to go across to the neighboring island to play on a white sand beach and introduce the 4 year old to the wonderful underwater world. It was his first time snorkeling and he LOVED it! We are indoctrinating him from an early age! Soon he will be a bubble blower like us! ha ha
The full face mask we got for him really worked well!

33669323022_a9a7d703f6_h.jpg
_DSC9937 by Angmo Al, on Flickr

Buceo Anilao is a great little resort and I'm pretty sure we will be returning!

The rest of my pics from the trip are at the link below, hope you enjoy them!:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/angmo-al/albums/72157678906089953

very very nice report. I only have been to Anilao and loved it. Sow the famous Rhinopias twice and two of them. this was in February and the vis was 30 m quite often :). I found the 24/25°C quite chilly too, especially for 60minutes + dives.

When it comes budget: how does it compare to other maco places?

Thanks for the report @AlMitch and your nice photos. It's good to get some feedback, particularly as we're in a very similar situation with a 4 year old (he will be on Thursday anyway) & 1 year old, except you lost me a bit when you said you brought a helper along :wink:(so jealous!) - although we did have a helper in the form of Grandma on a couple of trips :)
We've bought my son a mask and snorkel for his birthday which will be used in earnest in Gili Air & Bali in May, and in the bath in the meantime no doubt. Hopefully he's ok with the snorkel (he wasn't with a borrowed one last year) but the full face mask your son used looks like an interesting option for children...
Cheers

Last edited:
When it comes budget: how does it compare to other maco places?

Thanks Freewillow!

BA is sort of in the middle, budget wise, you can get slightly cheaper and much more expensive in Lembeh, Bangka & Tulamben...man I'm unhelpful!! ha ha
It is in the same bracket $$'s wise with the likes of Scuba Seraya in Tulamben and NAD/ Froggies in Lembeh.

Thanks for the report @AlMitch and your nice photos. It's good to get some feedback, particularly as we're in a very similar situation with a 4 year old (he will be on Thursday anyway) & 1 year old, except you lost me a bit when you said you brought a helper along :wink:(so jealous!) - although we did have a helper in the form of Grandpa on a couple of trips :)
We've bought my son a mask and snorkel for his birthday which will be used in earnest in Gili Air & Bali in May, and in the bath in the meantime no doubt. Hopefully he's ok with the snorkel (he wasn't with a borrowed one last year) but the full face mask your son used looks like an interesting option for children...
Cheers
Friends of ours recommended the full face mask from Decathlon EASYBREATH® SNORKELLING MASK - BLUE WHITE - Decathlon Singapore
Your kid ends up looking at tad like Darth Vader... but man it works a treat. It doesn't fog up, very little water gets in, he can chat to you as he explores the reef, it really is perfect for kids.
We are very lucky to travel with our helper, but BA (and many of the dive resorts we've been to) said they had baby sitters if we needed. And once the younger one is a year or so older that is probably the way we will go.
If you need any help/advice in terms of traveling with kids in South East Asia (or Africa) drop me a PM.

Your kid ends up looking at tad like Darth Vader...
Haha, he'd like that! :)

If you need any help/advice in terms of traveling with kids in South East Asia (or Africa) drop me a PM.
Thanks very much, will do. We do go out that way as often as possible!

Thanks for your report. I'm returning to "give it another go" in mid-June after actually being caught up in the hurricane itself over Christmas. Time will tell on the critter front I suppose. That being said, I have 2 weeks booked at Critters@Lembeh after Anilao, so if it's still not recovered some critter love, at least I know I'm going to end the holiday on a more reliable note :)

Back
Top Bottom