Trouble w/acronyms

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

..although not scuba related, I use this site a lot...

Acronym Finder

I am an Executive Assistant - I challenge any of you to a typing dual.... HA:mean:

Originally posted by JamesK

Halcyon has no wing that includes bungees. OMS, and Dive Rite do though.

What purpose does the bungee serve? Why are these considered dangerous?

The bungee is said to help in deflation of the wing. They claim it makes it more strealined so the wing produces less drag. They say it gives you better trim as it prevents air shifting in the wing.

The nay-sayers, claim that the bungees can cause an entanglement hazard in wrecks or caves. They say that air does not shift, it instead gets trapped in parts of the wing and held there by the bungee. They say that if your deflator hose breaks, you suffer a very quick and massive deflation of the wing. They say it actually produces more drag because your wing is no longer a smooth surface. They also say they are harder to inflate manually, becasue you are fighting the force of the bungee.

Personally, I stay away from the BWOD. Some on this board do use them, like NetDoc, and would be able to give you a good run down of why he likes them.

They theoreticaly streem line you by compressing the air in your BC and sinching up the free fabric on the wing.

Unfortunatly compresed air is less boyant than the same volume of uncompresed air, so you need more volume of compresed air to generate the same lift.. so you need a bigger wing.

And the second problem is not a problem if you buy the right size wing to start with.

Originally posted by shellbird
I am an Executive Assistant - I challenge any of you to a typing dual.... HA:mean:

I am sure you would win easily.

Glad to see your diving knowledge is better than your typing skills!

Thanks for the info! I was seeing a lot of discussions relating to this and had no clue what the h-e-double hockey sticks they were talking about!

Happy Diving!!

Originally posted by shellbird
Glad to see your diving knowledge is better than your typing skills!

:eek:ut: :eek:ut: :wink:

Thanks for the info! I was seeing a lot of discussions relating to this and had no clue what the h-e-double hockey sticks they were talking about!

Happy Diving!!

No problem.

Originally posted by JimC
They theoreticaly streem line you by compressing the air in your BC and sinching up the free fabric on the wing.

Unfortunatly compresed air is less boyant than the same volume of uncompresed air, so you need more volume of compresed air to generate the same lift.. so you need a bigger wing.
I'm one of the more vocal folks against bungee wings and though there’s lots of reason to avoid them, this isn’t one of them! The amount of force that the bungees can exert doesn't create any significant difference in density of the gas in the wing. After all, even the bungees don’t open the wing’s OPV, for example.

Roak

It took me forever to figure out what the heck "LDS" was! Duh! (Local Dive Shop, I think)

Are there any you can't figure out that aren't on those above links?

Cheers!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom