Question Truefins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Excuse the image of the pressure gauge and compass dangling. Normally that should be clipped. However, it did give us a sense of the accelerations and velocity of the diver. By the way, these pics were at Waldo Lake in Oregon. A cold high mountain lake,, lake surface at 5,400 feet elevation.

We are no longer suggesting hybrid spines, where you mix colors on a single spine. We are in the process of venting the spine tooling differently because we found that those three broken vertebra I mentioned earlier on some Scubaboard thread here had some little air voids, so we are correcting that.. Statistically it is a non event, but we don't want random air bubbles in the vertebrae pieces. I'll also repeat that the spines and the Monprene fin have a lifetime guarantee Once we get that injection tool vent modified, then we will say go ahead and mix and match. Mixing and matching on a single spine creates a discontinuous spine curvature and stress concentrations.

Anyway, keep every spine a single color, and one fin can have two spines of different colors. Below are some pictures of the Blue spine at the Big toe, and Green spine at little toe during frog kick. The performance difference would be subtle, but a good frog kick may notice it.

Thanks for the explanation and pictures.

Dive Rite XTs overall size varies with fin size. I should have said, my XTs are large. This is from the DGX website:
View attachment 798375
I first learned this when I saw a woman diving some smalls on a dive charter, they were miniatures.

I don;t think I've ever seen XTs in XXL
Interesting size comparisons. I didn't take any pictures yet, but I did run into the garage to do a quick comparison. I didn't really notice a difference in size between the XL and XXL. The picture somewhat supports that the difference is minimal. Both fins exceeded the length of the TrueFin in the center, but the edges were about the same length.

I'm curious if the TrueFins will have different lengths based on size.

Interesting size comparisons. I didn't take any pictures yet, but I did run into the garage to do a quick comparison. I didn't really notice a difference in size between the XL and XXL. The picture somewhat supports that the difference is minimal. Both fins exceeded the length of the TrueFin in the center, but the edges were about the same length.

I'm curious if the TrueFins will have different lengths based on size.
No, very little if any difference in overall length between the different sizes of Truefin... The difference will be the foot pocket of course, but also the overall width of truefin will change depending on the size. For example the medium Truefin is about one inch narrower overall than the overall width of the large Truefin.. We wont be producing the medium Truefin until January 2024.

A couple miscellaneous points..

When installing the spines, install the hash marks III on each vertebrae adjacent to the hash marks III at the bottom of the Monprene rail. That is mentioned in the instructions.

With regard to the length of Truefin of different sizes, the reason the overall length will essentially remain the same between different future sizes is because the same spines will be used for all sizes of fins, and also the heel strap posts (non-proprietary, 20mm flange, 13mm throat) need a minimum distance between the post and the spine so the spine can be withdrawn, while the post needs to be the same distance for all sizes from the rear side edge of the foot pocket to accommodate the heel strap buckles or brackets - so we can not make the fin shorter.. However, for larger sizes we could make the fin longer while using the same spines, but at just under 24 inches it is long enough, and has maneuverability and high thrust.

Truefin at Bali, Indonesia.

I had to post this from the Bali video above...

As I've mentioned before, I am not a scuba diver, but I suspect this ocean current is exceptional.... This diver is just drifting with it, but this is an example where there are situations when you must have thrust capability.
View attachment 800770

I had to post this from the Bali video above...

As I've mentioned before, I am not a scuba diver, but I suspect this ocean current is exceptional.... This diver is just drifting with it, but this is an example where there are situations when you must have thrust capability.
View attachment 800770
He should stop kicking and go with it like the person with the yellow fins.

He should stop kicking and go with it like the person with the yellow fins.
Maybe his trim was so bad that he had to kick.

@scubadada, I'm looking forward to your review of the fin. I understand you dove them several times on your recent FL trip.

I dove mine again the other day at the bridge. They are great fins for doing photography. I'm almost frustrated when I dive my DiveRite XTs.

As I dive them more, I have the issue of having to use the large springs for my long photography dives so that my feet don't hurt and having to use the medium springs when I got on a boat, so that they don't come off my feet when I jump in. I think the medium springs would be fine if the foot pocket was just a little larger, maybe 2-3mm in width and/or height. I didn't bring them out on the boat yesterday because I had so much gear prep to do, and swapping springs wasn't on the priority list. With how the currents were, there was a lot of surge, I was wishing I had them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom