Question Truefins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just finished 5 days of diving in Boynton Beach, FL. I wore the Truefins on 6 of the 10 dives (6 hours dive time) and my Dive Rite XTs on the other 4. The dives were a good distribution. One dive was a deeper wreck on the Castor with moderate current. Two dives were on the outside reef one with moderate current and crossover to the inside and one entirely on the outside with light current. Three dives were on the inside reef with light to moderate current.

The large fins with the medium spring strap fit me very well. I wear size 10 and use pretty sturdy Pinnacle 3 mm booties. The fins were comfortable, I had no problems giant striding off the boat, they were stable. I did all of these dives with the blue spine. I wear size large XTs.

The fins feel different than my Dive Rite XTs, it did not take long to become comfortable with them and no longer pay attention to how I was finning. Overall, the Truefins performed very well. It is difficult making comparisons as I believe the XTs are also very good fins.

In general, I frog kick more than I flutter. When I flutter kick, it is usually with a larger magnitude, slower stroke rather than a faster, shallower kick. The Truefins had good power while frog kicking, perhaps the equal of the XTs. I give a slight nod to the XTs. The Truefins did very well flutter kicking. I would probably not describe them as more powerful than the XTs, but they may have required less effort to generate that power. This is a hard call and rather subtle. I'm better helicopter turning with the XTs, but that is largely a fin feel thing. I would probably improve with time. I did no significant back finning.

So, overall, the Truefins perform on a par with the XTs, I think a very good outcome for them. The XTs may have a slight advantage in frog kicking, the Truefins may have a slight advantage in flutter kicking.

I'm not sure where I will go next with this. I'm tempted to gain more experience with the blue spines before switching to the green spines to try out with frog kicking. It's hard enough just trying to compare the Truefins with the XTs, that I have been diving at least 11 or 12 years.

See my previous posts regarding size and weight of the fins and negative buoyancy.
The Truefins go for $245, large XTs go for $195.

I would be glad to hear your comments and will try to answer your questions.

I just finished 5 days of diving in Boynton Beach, FL. I wore the Truefins on 6 of the 10 dives (6 hours dive time) and my Dive Rite XTs on the other 4. The dives were a good distribution. One dive was a deeper wreck on the Castor with moderate current. Two dives were on the outside reef one with moderate current and crossover to the inside and one entirely on the outside with light current. Three dives were on the inside reef with light to moderate current.

The large fins with the medium spring strap fit me very well. I wear size 10 and use pretty sturdy Pinnacle 3 mm booties. The fins were comfortable, I had no problems giant striding off the boat, they were stable. I did all of these dives with the blue spine. I wear size large XTs.

The fins feel different than my Dive Rite XTs, it did not take long to become comfortable with them and no longer pay attention to how I was finning. Overall, the Truefins performed very well. It is difficult making comparisons as I believe the XTs are also very good fins.

In general, I frog kick more than I flutter. When I flutter kick, it is usually with a larger magnitude, slower stroke rather than a faster, shallower kick. The Truefins had good power while frog kicking, perhaps the equal of the XTs. I give a slight nod to the XTs. The Truefins did very well flutter kicking. I would probably not describe them as more powerful than the XTs, but they may have required less effort to generate that power. This is a hard call and rather subtle. I'm better helicopter turning with the XTs, but that is largely a fin feel thing. I would probably improve with time. I did no significant back finning.

So, overall, the Truefins perform on a par with the XTs, I think a very good outcome for them. The XTs may have a slight advantage in frog kicking, the Truefins may have a slight advantage in flutter kicking.

I'm not sure where I will go next with this. I'm tempted to gain more experience with the blue spines before switching to the green spines to try out with frog kicking. It's hard enough just trying to compare the Truefins with the XTs, that I have been diving at least 11 or 12 years.

See my previous posts regarding size and weight of the fins and negative buoyancy.
The Truefins go for $245, large XTs go for $195.

I would be glad to hear your comments and will try to answer your questions.
Thanks for the review. Try the split blue/green configuration. It works really well. Blue spines on the inside and green on the outside. It creates a more vertical flex on the fin to improve propulsion. I keep switching back and forth with my XT's and I can feel more resistance when finning with the TF's.

Hi @MrChen

What does "feel more resistance" mean, more power/thrust and/or less effort for the same effect? Does this apply to both flutter and frog kicking? As per my review, I have difficulty describing the differences between these two good fins.

Have you dived the Truefins with blue, green, and combo of blue and green spines? Have you tried the yellow spines? Have you concluded that the combo blue and green spines are the best for your diving? Is it true for both flutter and frog kicking?

We'll meet someday.

Hi @MrChen

What does "feel more resistance" mean, more power/thrust and/or less effort for the same effect? Does this apply to both flutter and frog kicking? As per my review, I have difficulty describing the differences between these two good fins.

Have you dived the Truefins with blue, green, and combo of blue and green spines? Have you tried the yellow spines? Have you concluded that the combo blue and green spines are the best for your diving? Is it true for both flutter and frog kicking?

We'll meet someday.
Great questions!

When I say feel more resistance, it's as if when doing the frog kick, I'm pushing against something a little more solid. My interpretation is that I'm getting more fin exposure/resistance against the water. If I kick harder, it feels like I'm able to get more out of the kick.

I've only tried all green and the blue/green combination. I like the blue/green more than all green. The all green is very similar to the XT on a frog kick, except the back kick is more responsive with the TF. I'm planning to try all blue next. For each combination, I'm doing multiple dives to get comfortable with them before changing it up and doing multiple dives between with my XT fins. In reality, I'm doing more dives with my XT fins. Last week, open water conditions were VERY surgy (North current was 5 seconds surge north, 3 seconds south. 2nd dive was south current 4 seconds surge south, 3 seconds north). I was diving with my XT fins, and I was exhausted. Mid dives, I was wishing I had the TF fins.

Hi @MrChen

We'll meet someday.
I dove the TF's yesterday in Palm Beach with some heavy currents. In my previous reviews, most of the dives were at BHB or in light currents offshore. In strong currents, the micro advantages of the TF were not as prevalent because mother nature is a force to reckon with. I would need to do some more side by side with the fins to form an opinion there.

Upon getting to the boat, a couple of divers were immediately curious as to what kind of fins I had. They were intrigued and skeptical at the same time, and thought it was an interesting concept.

Just received this video of a diver reversing with truefin. I think this is the most popular way to reverse kick,,, but someone correct me if there is a better technique..

https://youtu.be/JwkwqZID95U

I know it is silly to post this, but a local artist created this,,, incredible talent to draw something like this,,,,,, nothing I could ever do. Thanks Jennifer.

Mermaid black background.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom