Question Truefins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It has been very nice seeing all the useful information posted in this thread since I started it a month and a half ago. The fins that Truefin distributed for reviews was a great idea and very helpful.

I have been diving Dive Rite XTs for about a dozen years, somewhere around 1,700 dives in a very wide variety of environments. They are nearly perfect fins for me. I mostly frog kick but use large or small amplitude flutter some of the time. I tried my hand at fin review when I compared Excellerating Force Fins to my XTs back in 2016

I have not tried any other fins since my review. I am intrigued by Truefins and may have to try them someday. Perhaps I can arrange a loan from @MrChen as I do quite a bit of my diving in SE Florida.

It has been very nice seeing all the useful information posted in this thread since I started it a month and a half ago. The fins that Truefin distributed for reviews was a great idea and very helpful.

I have been diving Dive Rite XTs for about a dozen years, somewhere around 1,700 dives in a very wide variety of environments. They are nearly perfect fins for me. I mostly frog kick but use large or small amplitude flutter some of the time. I tried my hand at fin review when I compared Excellerating Force Fins to my XTs back in 2016

I have not tried any other fins since my review. I am intrigued by Truefins and may have to try them someday. Perhaps I can arrange a loan from @MrChen as I do quite a bit of my diving in SE Florida.

I tell you what,,, because you started this thread, and because of your particular experience with the fins you have been using, we'll put a used pair of test fins on a slow truck to you in a week or so. I would be interested to see your feedback here regarding them.

These fins are quite different, and I'm interested to learn what segment of the diving community they work best for. As I've mentioned before in this thread, if you use very long free diving fins, and certainly if they are closed heel ('full foot'), these are not suggested. It is an enigma where from feed back we have received, powerful kickers as well as divers that may have some physical lower body limitation, both groups generally prefer Truefin,,, however there appears to be an intermediate group of divers who do not need much thrust capability, and prefer a very flexible blade with a very soft foot pocket. Nothing wrong with that of course, so it just goes back to individual needs and preferences.

I would try them if they came in adult size :wink:

I would try them if they came in adult size :wink:
Oh, right. I forgot to ask whether they would fit. Well, we are working on other sizes, Medium is being worked on, and XL is next, but this is a slow and deliberate process for us.

More and more interesting. Any plan to sell in them Europe one day ?

Greetings divers. I monitor this board, and didn't see this thread. I would be happy to answer any questions. Around six engineers developed this fin over several years. We did a lot of actual scuba diving tests but wanted hard numbers that only an instrumented machine could produce. A lot of time was spent determining the best geometry of the spines to produce thrust and efficiency, then FEA and bench break tests, as well as high speed 100 cpm machine long stroke flutter kicking was performed to optimize the strength. 3D printing was great to do the early geometry testing.. Spines are Nylon 6 with 30% glass,, bone hardness. We don't expect proble3ms with spines breaking, but they have a lifetime guarantee. The endurance machine flutter kicked 1M cycles at 40 cpm without breaking. We'll be doing more machine tests.. If we ever had to we would go to carbon fiber filled nylon spines, but I don't think that is necessary. Carbon fiber filled material creates accelerated wear on the injection mold tooling. The overmolded fin is Monprene from Technor Apex,, tough stuff, 72A Shore,,, the fin chassis is polypropylene. Worked to get a comfortable foot pocket. Currently only have Large, men's size 9-13. Medium is next up. Will also be molding the Green geometry an optional black color soon because of mil requests.. Some have painted the Green black, but the paint wears off. As I said, I monitor this board, but give me time to respond because I don't have a lot of time here.

Regards,
Joe Maresh
/Oregon
So you release the red button to change from green to blue?

More and more interesting. Any plan to sell in them Europe one day ?
Yes, but first we need to produce more sizes, and get domestic awareness of this product. If sales justify, we could then ship a container to some distributer there.

So you release the red button to change from green to blue?
Yes. Most people would want to use a couple blunt objects to push the red buttons, such as a couple sticks or pencil erasers or something,, or use the spine removal tool that comes with the fins. The tool is also provided with every extra set of spines. The red buttons are kind of hard to push with fingers only.

Here is a clip of the spine installation.

Installing spines

The design of the tool has evolved, with the ribbon style tool on the right the one we are going to injection mold. The earlier tools were 3D printed.
spine removal tools 100a.jpg

Back
Top Bottom