Question Truefins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, but first we need to produce more sizes, and get domestic awareness of this product. If sales justify, we could then ship a container to some distributer there.
Once you'll get 11 size fins and need a beta-tester in France, count me in.

:wink:

Yes. Most people would want to use a couple blunt objects to push the red buttons, such as a couple sticks or pencil erasers or something,, or use the spine removal tool that comes with the fins. The tool is also provided with every extra set of spines. The red buttons are kind of hard to push with fingers only.

Here is a clip of the spine installation.

Installing spines

The design of the tool has evolved, with the ribbon style tool on the right the one we are going to injection mold. The earlier tools were 3D printed.
View attachment 790525
I was able to remove the spines without the tool at the shore dive location by using the bend trick you previously posted. Not super easy, but definitely doable.

• Bullseye!
Reactions: L13
I have not tried any other fins since my review. I am intrigued by Truefins and may have to try them someday. Perhaps I can arrange a loan from @MrChen as I do quite a bit of my diving in SE Florida.

Absolutely

I was able to remove the spines without the tool at the shore dive location by using the bend trick you previously posted. Not super easy, but definitely doable.
You probably recieved the older red spring pins with the domed top. The newer chamfered pin top is a little easier to press, and as time goes we will make it yet easier to press those pins without the use of a tool.

By the way, as far as removing the spines and folding the fin during travel, the black Monprene is pretty tough. ..There was no damage rolling a truck tire over the folded blade portion of the fin,, so folding or rolling the fin up and stuffing it in luggage will not cause damage.

truck drives over folded Truefin.jpg

Here is a clip of that test.

Truck driving over folded Truefin

Here is a 'real time' example illustrating how the spines articulate while being dragged across a steel table top (a horizontal plane). Notice the Yellow spine has a greater angle of attack versus the Blue spine during the power flutter kick,,, and the Green spine remains flat during the power frog kick.

Truefin spines 3.gif

Nice viz, maybe you should make some spines the glow :wink:
Yes, that is possible with phosphorescent pigments..

Here is a pic of a dusty fin with painted black spines (Green geometry). We have since molded some dark spines with Green geometry by special request, and we may make black spines available to the public at some point if divers generally prefer black spines... or perhaps very dark blue, very dark green, and very dark yellow,, so that is easy to keep track of the geometries involved. I'm not sure what color 'very dark yellow' is.

tf_blk100.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom