TRUK and YAP in March

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver Dennis:
What are your dates? I might just be around Palau and Yap during March.

What dates will you be there and where are you staying?

I am now hearing there is a lot of crime on Truk and not to go inot town alone at night? Is it that bad? Someone said many Truk people are on the American dole, assistance? Blue laggon is a locked and gated property. That's why? Does not sound like fun

Tassie_Rohan:
No No No!

The diving at Truk is Fantastic. Yes theres little to do above surface but if you're diving a lot you'll spend most of your surface time asleep or eating. Its actually nice to have the time to sit back, read and rest. I spent 10 days there and it was barely enough, and I didn't miss the nightlife. The boat rides (10-15 minutes) is nothing to worry about.

Palau is great and very different

Haven’t been to yap: people go there for the mantas. Friends two have dived all three rate Palau a lot higher than Yap.

Put it this way: I was already planning returning to Truk before I left.

If you like WWII stuff as you state then Truk underwater will blow your mind

I would do Truk over Yap or Palau any day.

Cheers,
Rohan.

I am late to this thread, but just had to put in my two cents.

I have dived Truk, Palau, and Yap. And I rate them in that order. Truk is fantastic...the best WWII wreck diving that recreational divers can do. When you get there, I suggest buying a book at the Blue Lagoon store--it is called Operation Hailstorm and it describes the battle and the wrecks. If you do your homework the resort dm's will take you where you want to go.

Let me suggest one more thing...there are some warplane wrecks in shallow areas that folks snorkle or free dive. What I did was save 500 lbs in our second tank and asked the dm to take us to the plane wrecks (at about 25-35 feet) and we dove using that 500 lbs. At that depth, that amount of air will last "forever". It also allowed for more leisurely photography than snorkling or free diving.

As for Yap, the diving was nice. BUT if you want to see mantas, it is a lot more convenient and cheaper to go to the Big Island of Hawaii.

I predict you will love Truk...and, yes, a live-aboard would give you more dives, but diving from the resort will also be lots of fun.

And one more thing...be sure to do a night dive. The soft corals at night are fabulous...

joewr

Great advice. Thanks. If you come up with 500 psi after 2 dive I and asked to be taken to the spot you mentioned, does that count as 3 dive or is that a freebie? hmm, same tank you used so it has to be free? I think I answered my won question. They don't mind taking you to do this? How about tippping? What is usual amount?

joewr:
I am late to this thread, but just had to put in my two cents.

I have dived Truk, Palau, and Yap. And I rate them in that order. Truk is fantastic...the best WWII wreck diving that recreational divers can do. When you get there, I suggest buying a book at the Blue Lagoon store--it is called Operation Hailstorm and it describes the battle and the wrecks. If you do your homework the resort dm's will take you where you want to go.

Let me suggest one more thing...there are some warplane wrecks in shallow areas that folks snorkle or free dive. What I did was save 500 lbs in our second tank and asked the dm to take us to the plane wrecks (at about 25-35 feet) and we dove using that 500 lbs. At that depth, that amount of air will last "forever". It also allowed for more leisurely photography than snorkling or free diving.

As for Yap, the diving was nice. BUT if you want to see mantas, it is a lot more convenient and cheaper to go to the Big Island of Hawaii.

I predict you will love Truk...and, yes, a live-aboard would give you more dives, but diving from the resort will also be lots of fun.

And one more thing...be sure to do a night dive. The soft corals at night are fabulous...

joewr

pilot fish:
Great advice. Thanks. If you come up with 500 psi after 2 dive I and asked to be taken to the spot you mentioned, does that count as 3 dive or is that a freebie? hmm, same tank you used so it has to be free? I think I answered my won question. They don't mind taking you to do this? How about tippping? What is usual amount?

Hi, Pilot Fish,

Here is the deal...Truk is, in general, very hang loose. So, if your request is not unreasonable, they will handle it. The "500 lb dive" does not require a new tank and, so, they did not charge us extra. Now, I was with two buddies and some folks who had dived with us for a couple of days and we all liked each other. So, when I made my suggestion, at dinner the night before, they were amenable...and we did twice.

About the book...I devoured it the night we got there. And I damn near memorized it. So, I became a sort of guide, myself. The DM's on Truk can be pretty taciturn and, so, it helps to do your homework and share info--as long as your fellow divers do not object...

Tips: We had a great DM and we gave him 20%! But he was worth every cent.

I hope this helps...

joewr

pilot fish:
I am now hearing there is a lot of crime on Truk and not to go inot town alone at night? Is it that bad? Someone said many Truk people are on the American dole, assistance? Blue laggon is a locked and gated property. That's why? Does not sound like fun
In my travels, there were only two instances where I was fearful for my safety: outside the airport in the crowd at Port Moresby PNG; and the transit at night from the airport to the Blue Lagoon Resort/Compound in Weno, Chuuk. I would rather ride my bike through the toughest neighborhood in South Central Los Angeles than being caught outside the Resort Compound in town after dark on Weno. . .

ouch! sounds bloody charming. I arrive in Truk in mid morning and leave a week later in late afternnoon so I should be ok. Your description is creepy. I will heed your advice.

Kevrumbo:
In my travels, there were only two instances where I was fearful for my safety: outside the airport in the crowd at Port Moresby PNG; and the transit at night from the airport to the Blue Lagoon Resort/Compound in Weno, Chuuk. I would rather ride my bike through the toughest neighborhood in South Central Los Angeles than being caught outside the Resort Compound in town after dark on Weno. . .

Your post helps a lot. Thanks

I have a book similar to the one you mentioned. I have, Dan Baily's WWII Wrecks of Truk Lagoon. I returned the book you mentioned to Amazon because I felt Baileys book had all the same info but was illustrated nicer and was more colorful.

I will suggest using the unused portion of our tanks to dive the shallow sites, if I'm able to.

Tip: you said 20% 20% of what, the cost of that days diving? I was planning on $10 a day for a two tank dive. It that OK?

joewr:
Hi, Pilot Fish,

Here is the deal...Truk is, in general, very hang loose. So, if your request is not unreasonable, they will handle it. The "500 lb dive" does not require a new tank and, so, they did not charge us extra. Now, I was with two buddies and some folks who had dived with us for a couple of days and we all liked each other. So, when I made my suggestion, at dinner the night before, they were amenable...and we did twice.

About the book...I devoured it the night we got there. And I damn near memorized it. So, I became a sort of guide, myself. The DM's on Truk can be pretty taciturn and, so, it helps to do your homework and share info--as long as your fellow divers do not object...

Tips: We had a great DM and we gave him 20%! But he was worth every cent.

I hope this helps...

joewr

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom