TRUK and YAP in March

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I hear there is alot of crime in the main town of Truk and not to go into town at night alone. terrific. My question is, should I not take my slightly expensive watch with me but instead take a lesser quality watch? Also, I would really like to take my binoculars with me for above water viewing, but, like the watch, they are a bit pricey and would be upset if they got nicked. Am I worrying too much or would I be prudent to leave both at home? Sorry if this sounds dumb.

PiFi.... yes,you are worrying too much

go

relax

enjoy

dive

and come back to show and tell

cheers

Hi Almighty.

Thanks. Glad to hear that. I was hoping some of the things I heard were exaggerated, Jim did not exaggerate at all, and I was worrying too much. Would you take the expensive binoculars on a trip like this? Would you switch to the cheaper watch? :)

Thanks

almitywife:
PiFi.... yes,you are worrying too much

go

relax

enjoy

dive

and come back to show and tell

cheers

I've been to Truk a handful of times, most recently in 2004, and I am going back next year. Take the binoculars. As for the watch, take it if you just "like" it- but don't expect to want/need even mild "dressup" clothes on Truk. My wardrobe on the island generally consists of shorts and a clean t shirt, and sandals or tennis shoes. Since it's vacation I only wear a watch diving.

As with most places in the world- practice due diligence in your surroundings and you will be fine. Truk is a third world country, and it looks like one. However, I've seen just as bad (if not worse) conditions in Mexico. Come to thin of it, I've had more problems in Mexico as well :).

i would take my usual watch & gear.

i figured my dive gear is far more expensive than my aqualand so i have no worries when travelling. dont forget some people take rebreathers and they go for $10K+

for ease of travel - hubby a fan of taking Monoculars instead of binoculars. less to carry and easy fits into pocket

That is very helpful to hear. You've eased some of my concerns.
Believe me, all I ever take are shorts, tees and sandals. That is my dive vacation uniform:D Are there plenty of things for me to see with my binoculars? Did you ever think while there, wish I had a pair of binoulars to see that things better? :)

chickdiver:
I've been to Truk a handful of times, most recently in 2004, and I am going back next year. Take the binoculars. As for the watch, take it if you just "like" it- but don't expect to want/need even mild "dressup" clothes on Truk. My wardrobe on the island generally consists of shorts and a clean t shirt, and sandals or tennis shoes. Since it's vacation I only wear a watch diving.

As with most places in the world- practice due diligence in your surroundings and you will be fine. Truk is a third world country, and it looks like one. However, I've seen just as bad (if not worse) conditions in Mexico. Come to thin of it, I've had more problems in Mexico as well :).

You, dear heart, are married to a very smart bloke. You knew that though, huh? My binoculars are a present from my daughter so they are extra special. My watch is more expensive than my reg and puter. :wink:

almitywife:
i would take my usual watch & gear.

i figured my dive gear is far more expensive than my aqualand so i have no worries when travelling. dont forget some people take rebreathers and they go for $10K+

for ease of travel - hubby a fan of taking Monoculars instead of binoculars. less to carry and easy fits into pocket

pilot fish:
That is very helpful to hear. You've eased some of my concerns.
Believe me, all I ever take are shorts, tees and sandals. That is my dive vacation uniform:D Are there plenty of things for me to see with my binoculars? Did you ever think while there, wish I had a pair of binoulars to see that things better? :)

You might want the binocs on land. I tend to use the zoom on my camera for the same thing. I haven't read through the whole thread, so I don't know if others have mentioned this- but....

there is some cool stuff to see topside. It sounds like you are a bit of a history buff- which is great. Last I was there (2004) Blue Lagoon offered a couple of topside trips. One of them was a trip up to St. Xaviers- which is a boarding school now. It was built by the Japanese as a communications post. It is definitely worth the trip. They also offered a trip out to one of the little islands in the lagoon, that included a picnic. We didn't do that one, but I wish we had. I have some underwater and topside pics on my website- http://www/chickdiver.com ont he photos page.

Relax- you are going to have a GREAT time :).

Yes, the binoculars were definitely for above water. I am a bit of a history buff, an appreciater anyway, and WWII in this area is of particular interest to me. Goid Bless those brave men and women of the Free World. Sorry.

Tried to open your link but it would not work. I'd love to see your pics.

Now that I have talked to you, Almighty and Jim I'm really relaxing :10:

chickdiver:
You might want the binocs on land. I tend to use the zoom on my camera for the same thing. I haven't read through the whole thread, so I don't know if others have mentioned this- but....

there is some cool stuff to see topside. It sounds like you are a bit of a history buff- which is great. Last I was there (2004) Blue Lagoon offered a couple of topside trips. One of them was a trip up to St. Xaviers- which is a boarding school now. It was built by the Japanese as a communications post. It is definitely worth the trip. They also offered a trip out to one of the little islands in the lagoon, that included a picnic. We didn't do that one, but I wish we had. I have some underwater and topside pics on my website- http://www/chickdiver.com ont he photos page.

Relax- you are going to have a GREAT time :).

Back
Top Bottom