Trying to Arrange Jr OW Cert for My Kid

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No worries Kev.

German Yanez is a tech instructor (Cave and Trimix) and is highly respected around here. There's also Roli of Dive Cozumel who is very good as well as a guy named Oliver, but his last name escapes me right now.

For whatever reason, Roli stood me up for 1 1/2 entire dive trips. I can't think why we re-booked with him after the first disappearance. He certainly does do technical diving, and is one of the few places on the island where one can get custom nitrox mixes, but only when the shop is open. We did our IANTD nitrox course there (with Stephanie Hagen, who I believe is no longer there) and thought the training was very good. Maybe that's why we tried again after being stood up for the rest of that week's planned diving.

For whatever reason, Roli stood me up for 1 1/2 entire dive trips. I can't think why we re-booked with him after the first disappearance. He certainly does do technical diving, and is one of the few places on the island where one can get custom nitrox mixes, but only when the shop is open. We did our IANTD nitrox course there (with Stephanie Hagen, who I believe is no longer there) and thought the training was very good. Maybe that's why we tried again after being stood up for the rest of that week's planned diving.

Unfortunately, you're not the first person I've heard this from. I thought maybe it was isolated incident. The shop he used to have is closed and I really don't know where he operates from now - because he also doesn't have the Yellow Rose (beautiful boat) anymore.

"I don't know what you women are protecting, but something is not right" ???? Kev, you quoted bestsyinczm only but refer to "you women" plural. With this statement you have implied that the posts made by susan6868, bestsyinczm and myself Sue Sue have an ulterior motive. You also repost that "the guard dogs were getting excited"

Ok, Kev, I understand guy attitude, I have a husband of 32 years and two grown and married sons. If either of these men in my life or any other man for that matter would refer to me or my Daughters (in law) in the manner you have I would let them no how I do not appreciate the attitude. So here it is Kev. Hopefully you simply wanted information and in the process your delivery merely included attitude that just came out wrong. Please look at how "you women and guard dogs" is a poor choice of words and how that type of attitude is demeaning and negative.

For the record, my family and I are Blue XT SEA Divers and we are part of a very dedicated group. Christi and her crew without doubt have provided top notch diving experiences for my family, friends and I for several years and we look forward to many years to come. I have full faith in their professional judgment and character. Which brings me to your statement that Christi was "possibly lying" although you added you "didn't think so". This statement truly came across as an accusation and offensive. I understand that you may not have meant it that way, but it did.

With that said, for the record my statement has no hidden agenda. If you or your buds, as you posted earlier or anyone else have a legitimate reason to request any information from a dive shop or any other business for that matter,that is not available or advertised, I believe it is most appropriate and businesslike to contact that business directly. Period end of that sentence.

Wishing you the best in diving and Best of luck with your Tri-mix stuff.

Sue

Sue, dont know why you have to defend Christi, I have never ever put any words on this board to suggest her company wasnt a good choice to use. EVER!!!!!!:D

And sorry that guard dog ruffled your feathers it's a term of endearment in my books. oops feathers what does that suggest now....:popcorn:

Negative attitude removed...

Kev, I guess certain terms of endearment don't set well with me. "You women" and "dog" certainly do not give a girl a warm feeling, take my word on that. Also, maybe you didn't intend to imply that there was some sort of coverup, but it came across that way. I guess what I will say regarding my defensive attitude is that when pushed , "dogs" bite.

Sue

Last edited:
Len, looking forward to hearing about your son's certification. Please let us know how it went !!! Hope you are having a great time !

Len, it was nice to meet you and dive with you. Hope your little guy is loving his first real diving adventure.

As I mentioned, my "little" guy, who you met, went the same route when he was twelve in the very same place with the same instructor. in those days, the sun rose and set with me, everything I said was brilliant, and there was always time to hang out with mom and dad.

Now, years later, there are cars and girls and college applications, work, and the "guys". Although we reamined close, we have less and less in common as he's grown to be the young adult you met on the boat. Diving is the one thing we both love and can do together, affording us quality time and a shared interest.

I hope that you and your son have hundreds of happy, safe dives together in the coming years.
I'm real happy for you, let me know how he does!

Thanks, folks...Well, the first day was great. Yesterday not great. Today, good again. He's a trooper. Had some panicky moments yesterday on his first dive and didn't want to continue yesterday, but insisted on continuing today, and he did well. He's overcoming his anxiety about diving off the boat, and I actually saw him a little bit on his second dive when we were on the Villa Blanca wall. If all goes well, he will finish his skills tomorrow, and then take his written. It's a cram session trying to not only get this in, but get it in around other family plans. Those OW skills, like fin pivot, are a bit tough in current, so I hope we have a mild day tomorrow. Hopefully tomorrow will go smoothly. I'll let everyone know.

My son is now Jr OW Certified! He did great today on his dives, and passed the test with a 94%! Further, we had some amazing dives today...Columbia Wall and San Francisco. Incredible. Thanks to Blue XT Sea. Now to work on my wife...she's weakening ;-)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom