TS Harvey/Hurricane Harvey - Flight from Dallas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nitrox624

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Anyone ever flown out of Dallas to CZM with a Tropical Storm or Hurricane sitting in the Gulf of Mexico? We are supposed to be flying out on Friday from DFW but they are now predicting either TS Harvey or Hurricane Harvey sitting down in the Gulf Friday morning. Wondering if they will end up cancelling the flight instead of flying around it.

If you are on AA1256 I wouldn't think it would be much of an issue. By Friday it should be on the Texas gulf coast with plenty of room to maneuver around it. It did not disrupt the flight yesterday (there was no scheduled flight today, Tuesday's have been dropped until October) and several weeks back when a storm moved through to the South there were no disruptions.

09L_tracks_latest.png

NO, they just fly around it, don't worry at all. BTW there was no rain this last weekend in Coz and the coming week looks great..

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

I have flown back to Houston from Cozumel a couple of times when the Gulf was stormy. Once we flew almost due west and came ashore around Brownsville. Once the pilot came on and ad libbed, "We will try to get you home as quickly and safely as possible." Um... what? :D

Last edited:
Yes, when the Gulf has bad weather the plots can easily avoid it but it does add some time to the trip. Like Gordon I've been as far west as Brownsville , and as far east as New Orleans. But always safely.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora DIvers

I know OP was specifically asking about flying out of DAL but just noticed all airlines have travel advisory's for flights in/out of IAH and other golf coast cities (imminent cancellations). This will effect UA flyers much more than AA but, still going to mess with a lot of flight schedules from Aug 25-27

Actually it should have very little impact on DFW. It's a big state we are over 400 miles from Corpus Christi and the minimal Huricane should be more than a hundred miles off shore. The only DFW flight will probably just head over to MSY and then south, like yesterday. The storm is currently more into to the flight path than it will be tomorrow, follow todays flight 1256 on flight aware.

Just was raising a flag about coastal area airports (for other people besides OP).

Just was raising a flag about coastal area airports (for other people besides OP).
Sorry, I was going off Friday. United has dropped the weekday flights to CZM for the low season and only operates the IAH flights on Saturday and Sunday (which may very well be affected by Harvey). AA has dropped the DFW to CZM flight on Tuesdays until October.

Back
Top Bottom