Tulamben ... how?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would suggest that you book with a dive centre who will give you a personal guide, so that you get the best shots of the marvelous critters to be found here. That way you get plenty of time to perfect your shots, plus the chance to learn the dive sites with local knowledge.

Many dive centres to choose from in Tulamben; I recommend the guys at Tulamben Wreck Divers.

Happy, safe diving.

2nd the recommendation for TWD... They have unlimited diving package at US$115 per day... Dive Bali with Tulamben Wreck Divers - Bali Diving - Special Dive Packages If u do the dawn dive plus the night dive, I think u can easily get 5 dives in...
A guide will also steady u when you want to do macro photography in the current... ;-)

Liberty dive centre : nitrox + eagle eyed private guides for free.
That's right. I'm going to Tulamben (and Nusa Penida and Komodo) in a fortnight on a trip with 43 scheduled dives over 2 weeks. Wayan of Liberty Dive Resort not only offered me nitrox and private guide, but discussed the best 12-dive itinerary that my 4 days could include. Conditions permitting, I'll be doing 2 dives on the Liberty Wreck (one at night), Coral Garden, Drop Off, Alamanda, Big Tree, Kubu (2 dives) and Emerald. And 2 more night dives in addition to the one at Liberty Wreck - one each at Betu Belah & Sereya Secrets. On the last day, a single long morning dive - the so-called Tulamben Drift Dive.

Be advised that Tulamben is all about free nitrox, private guides and shore diving. We just had 3 dives there and it was 2 more that was required in that place. Still trying to figure out all the hype...I would skip Nusa Penida and head directly to Nusa Lembongan. Big Fish, 2Fish or one of the best diving resorts on the island. Molas are in season starting in July, but mantas, bamboo and guitar sharks are around.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

We just had 3 dives there and it was 2 more that was required in that place. Still trying to figure out all the hype...
Maybe with 10 or 20 dives more, you'd understand.
But that's Ok : we, -the Tulamben frequent divers-, thank you for not increasing the dive crowd, and leaving the spot for ourselves.

But that's Ok : we, -the Tulamben frequent divers-, thank you for not increasing the dive crowd, and leaving the spot for ourselves.

Oh, the crowds were another thing I did not mention...My point is - there are far more interesting destinations in Indonesia, even around Bali.

My point is - there are far more interesting destinations in Indonesia, even around Bali.
Like where for instance talking about doto sp. nudibranches? or even Tritonia sp.?
Pls be very specific, I will be interested to hear.

What did you find so uninteresting in Tulamben it took you only one dive to find out while so many stupid photographers, with far more publications than myself are still returning year after year.

What did you find so uninteresting in Tulamben it took you only one dive to find out while so many stupid photographers, with far more publications than myself are still returning year after year.

We have done 3 dives there total. If it was not for bumphead parrot fishes and a moray on the night dive at the wreck it would be a complete waste of time. The LDR center operation moving our own equipment and leaving it on the beach (damaging a regulator in the process) was equally unimpressive. I won't be coming back... And yes, there are far better places in Indonesia, like Lembeh, or Bangka or Nusa Lembongan.

And yes, there are far better places in Indonesia, like Lembeh, or Bangka or Nusa Lembongan.
Sorry, no doto donut nudi sp. in Lembeh. Wrong answer. This is unique only to Bali and Milne bay PNG.
Nusa Lembongan? For small stuff? ...Kidding?

Very unimpressed with your answer. I thought you would be talking about Ambon, Raja ampat, Alor, South Komodo, maybe Tukang Besi, etc.

We have done 3 dives there total. If it was not for bumphead parrot fishes and a moray on the night dive at the wreck it would be a complete waste of time. The LDR center operation moving our own equipment and leaving it on the beach (damaging a regulator in the process) was equally unimpressive. I won't be coming back... And yes, there are far better places in Indonesia, like Lembeh, or Bangka or Nusa Lembongan.

Without having to read back through the whole thread, did you have a dive guide at Tulamben? I personally have guided divers on the wreck 100's of times and am able to point out painted frog fish, vibrant blue neon crocea clams, beautiful square anthias, huge coral trout, plus many trevally, gobies, blennies, dottybacks, shrimps, pegasus fish, too many nudibranchs to mention and even pygmy seahorse. (Mustn't forget to mention the resident barracuda, Brian)

I can understand someone getting bored if the wreck is crawling with divers, but even so, there is plenty of sealife and it is a great spot for photographers. Please do not write off Tulamben after just a couple of dives; you have missed so much that the wreck (and neighbouring sites) have to give.

Maybe with 10 or 20 dives more, you'd understand.

+1, for someone to only do three dives there and make an opinion like that I feel sorry for them but then I guess some people are just hard to please.

Did they dive 'The Drop Off', Coral Gardens, Wreck Slope, Malasti, Kubu, Palu Palu (sp?), Allam Anda, Emerald, Batu Kelibit, Seraya???

In the end it can't be that bad otherwise no-one would ever go there - anyway I will be back for my fourth trip in Nov.

This is from my first trip there in 2010 - http://www.divetheblue.net/pdf/148Tulamben.pdf

Karl

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom