Tulamben, Mount Agung, Current Situation...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Someone posted this 500m steam plume out of Mt.Agung, as mentioned in the above link, yesterday.

IMG_6383.JPG

Its unfortunate that the distance to the plumes are are not in range of using a cospec sensor. This instrument can remotely determine amount of sulfur dioxide in a volcanic plume. The instrument is too heavy for a simple quad drone. My heart goes out the residents of Bali - even with the best round-the-clock volcano monitoring coupled with proactive evacuation plans, it's still difficult to predict exactly the timing and magnitude of an eruption On Monday, I will be off-line for week or two - visiting eastern Indonesia (Maluku).

< Octopus Volcano Nat Geo doco.

I'd watched this and having a background in Plate Tectonics I've Encountered a couple of people working together on their theory of Octopi being reliable predictors of seismic activity. I felt their theory was very good until I was diving through an 8.6 off Sumatra 414km from the epicentre so a decent quake. Unlike everyone else's stories - my buddy and I heard no rumblings or groans and I was watching one octo who did absolutely zero. I felt bad telling them lol.

Last edited:
I'm in the process of cancelling my trip (I was due to depart on the 12th) - most are willing to refund deposits no problem, one wants evidence of cancelled flights (Singapore is currently giving all passengers the option to reschedule or cancel bookings, mine has offered to let me reschedule or cancel and keep a credit on record) before any refunds and didn't seem to believe that my insurance told me Bali would be a no go right now. I'm more than willing to eat the deposit - it probably means more to someone in the tourism industry right now - but I definitely felt "volcanosplained" to....

Anyway, who knows what will happen, but it's a risk I'm not willing to take at the moment. The uncertainty for those in Bali must be exhausting.

I'm in the process of cancelling my trip (I was due to depart on the 12th) - most are willing to refund deposits no problem, one wants evidence of cancelled flights (Singapore is currently giving all passengers the option to reschedule or cancel bookings, mine has offered to let me reschedule or cancel and keep a credit on record) before any refunds and didn't seem to believe that my insurance told me Bali would be a no go right now. I'm more than willing to eat the deposit - it probably means more to someone in the tourism industry right now - but I definitely felt "volcanosplained" to....

Anyway, who knows what will happen, but it's a risk I'm not willing to take at the moment. The uncertainty for those in Bali must be exhausting.

I can understand why you would do this, buuuuuuut.....

So far nothing has happened. The volcano has been in the same basic state several weeks now. It could be in the same state for several months, or yes, it could explode tomorrow. If it does erupt, the most likely thing we are to get here in Ubud is ash and power outages, possibly accompanied by a strong earthquake.

I feel very comfortable with our decision to stay in Bali about 20 miles from the mountain. :happywave: The best prediction I saw was that it was a bit more likely to erupt than not, but either is a strong possibility.

If my vacation plan was to spend lots of time in Amed or Tulamben, I would re-think that. If my vacation plan were to fly through Bali to get to Raja Ampat or somewhere else, I would not hesitate (though I would want to know what the plan is if my flight gets delayed either in or out.)

I am in no position to encourage people to come here, but I do think one should realize that the media overstates the risk, as they are in the business of "selling newspapers".

Just my opinion, worth what you paid for it. :thumb2:

- Bill

Reactions: Dan

Back
Top Bottom