turn for gloves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Homunculus

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
hey,
in my previous post i asked about wetsuit thickness that you, new englanders, use. now, it's turn for gloves. i used to rent 7 mm gloves and did not feel cold during the summer dives but it's definitely hard to grab things. i'm wondering if 5 mm or even less would be ok for NE waters.
thanks

Mikhail Frenkel:
hey,
in my previous post i asked about wetsuit thickness that you, new englanders, use. now, it's turn for gloves. i used to rent 7 mm gloves and did not feel cold during the summer dives but it's definitely hard to grab things. i'm wondering if 5 mm or even less would be ok for NE waters.
thanks

I use Seasoft TI Edge 5mm gloves. My dive season starts Memorial Day weekend and usually ends at the end of September or the beginning of October.

I dive mostly between New England and Penssylvania (unless I am on vacation).

5mm are fine for spring, and fall diving. I recommend the Harvey's Dina-hide skin gloves. They are tough and made of genuine Brontosaraus skin. I have a pair and love them. Use 3mm gloves in the summer July-Aug-sept.

As others have said, comfort-levels and thicknesses are subjective. Also, it depends on the length, depth and numbers of dives you plan to do. A 30 minute shore dive to 30 fsw and head home? A 3 tank day with boat dives to 90 fsw and HP 120's?
7mm gloves are harder to grab things with but hypothermic fingers are too.

A buddy of mine said to me on the boat "Well, the good news is: I can turn my tank valve off and on. The bad news is: My fingers won't straighten out so that's all I can do" :)
My suggestion would be to try to rent 5mm gloves before you buy a pair and then do the longest, coldest, deepest dives you plan to do. If they keep you warm enough then you know what to buy. I choose to use thick gloves and have warm hands but...

I also use 5mm gloves and do OK. Although as decapoddiver mentioned, if your doing 2 deep dives with a significant surface interval in cool/cold weather, the fingers do tend to quit working. Mine got so cold a couple of weeks ago on a two tank boat dive that they cramped up on me after the second dive when I got back on the boat. About 10 minutes later they had warmed to a tolerable level. Water temps though were running 35-40. Probably won't get that cold in the summer. 5mm works great for me in the summer.

Bare 5mm gloves are what i use. I haven't had much problem with cold hands, though i have only used them in temps to about 43-45. Again, it sort of depends on your tendency toward coldness and/or tolerance for the cold in general. I am sure that the 5mm will be fine for most late spring / summer / early fall dives. Happy diving.

I dove 7mm gloves all last summer and ended up taking them off in the middle of a lot of dives. I asked the owner of my favorite dive shop what he recomends. He said 5mm I would get the most use out of. He also said 3mm are good most of the time, but wear out quickly, especially if you do a lot of lobstering.

I did my checkout dives with inexpensive 7mm gloves. Putting on the gloves was a process. My instructor said he has had students throw the gloves down in frustration and quit the class. I use 7mm hyperstretch but could get away with 5mm.

When it comes do hand comfort my motto is, "think limb". Warm arms feed warm blood to comfortable hands and well gloved hands keep arms warm. I have had very good luck with my Bare 5mm gauntlet gloves.

I use them diving wet in a Bare Arctic with the 7mm hooded step-in down to 50F

When colder they work with my 7mm neoprene drysuit with neoprene seals. The coldest I have the chance to dive in was 38F so far and my hands were fine.

In each case I think the gauntlet has 2 big advantages. First it provides an additional layer of neoprene over the wrists where the blood passes close to the surface. Secondly the long overlap and cinch strap provides a pretty good closure against flushing.

I am tinkering with some DIY dry gloves for my drysuit but it's more of a curiosity than a need.

Pete

I manage to get away with a pair of 5 mm Bare gloves during most of the warm months at shallow depths. But if its the colder months or I am going where the temps are hovering in the 40's I prefer a pair of 7mm 3 finger mitts. I know some feel that they lose dexterity with mitts, but after a little experience you get used to them, and besides, there is NO dexterity with numb fingers!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom