TWARS (This Week at Reef Seekers) - September 15-22

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ken Kurtis

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Thanks to everyone for your kinds words following the TWARS of last week . . .

CONCEPTION UPDATE - Not too much has changed in the last week. All 34 victims have now been recovered and identified and their families notified. What's left of the Conceptionhull has been raised and transported by barge to a military facility on the mainland, where the NTSB will likely try to reconstruct the boat as best they can and then run various tests and do investigations to determine how the fire started and why it spread apparently so fast. USCG has issued a Marine Information Safety Bulletin where, among other things, they suggest not allowing unsupervised (as in overnight) charging of batteries. In addition, the National Transportation Safety Board released on Thursday their preliminary report which states that all crew members were asleep when the fire broke out, presumably around 3AM. The attorney for Truth Aquatics has pushed back on that, stating that one of the crew did a walk-through of the galley/salon area at 2:30AM, and all was well. Needless to say, this is a BIG issue and one that will receive plenty of scrutiny down the road.

CHANGES SO FAR - The biggest change so far is likely in you. Every diver is now hyper-aware of things like fire hazards, escape hatches, and the like. Even if nothing else were to change, this is an enormous step forward for us as a community to insure something like this never happens again. But dive operations are taking notice too. You all saw what Reef Seekers will be doing from last week's note. The Nautilus Gallant Lady - the same boat we'll use in December for Cabo Pulmo - delayed leaving port a few days ago so that owner Mike Lever could have a fire suppression system installed along with cutting a second escape hatch. I saw a post on FaceBook that for a trip this weekend, the Peacehad everyone climb through the escape hatch of that boat. And the USCG safety notice urges boats to review crew training, fire fighting abilities, passenger briefings, and the like. So awareness, along with some specifics, is definitely on the rise. And as I've said repeatedly, hopefully something good can come out of all of this and being safer certainly fits that mold.

DONATE TO THE VICTIMS FAMILIES - D.A.N., along with some other sponsors listed, has set up a donation page to help the families affected by all of this. As I'm writing this, they've raised over $146,000. If you'd like to donate, this is the link: https://www.diversalertnetwork.org/theconception/. Your donation is 100% tax-deductible.

On to other things . . .

AVALON THIS SATURDAY - We're going to Avalon for lots of reasons this coming Saturday. We'll be leaving out of San Pedro on the 8AM boat, doing three dives in the Underwater Park, and then leaving Avalon at 5:30PM. (We'll take a break for lunch between dive #2 and #3.) $150 covers you for the Catalina Express, taxi to the Park and back, and tank rentals, plus all the fun and (hopefully) Giant Sea Bass sightings you can handle. Call us at 310/652-4990 if you want to come. We've already got 5 confirmed so this is a definite go.

ONE MORE SAD NOTE - Just to be clear, this is NOT related to the Conception fire. But it's my sad duty to tell you that longtime Reef Seekers diver Pat O'Brien has died at the age of 85. Pat did a lot of foreign trips with us, and was particularly fond of Bonaire. She was certainly a character in her own right - and I mean that in the best possible way - and her easy laugh and gentle demeanor will certainly be missed.

And that'll do it for now. Have a great week, and let's go diving soon!!!

- Ken

Thank you for the Conception update. I wanted to post this image last night but all of the sudden all the discussions were closed having to do with the fire.
On Sat I was looking at the first image everybody saw of the boat on fire. Then I started to play with blk/white/hue/etc dials in photo shop. And this is what I think I see..
1) fire station #1 -red arrow at bottom left
2) fire hose deployed- blue arrow
3) person in window hanging on to firehose -green arrow
4) left port mid-deck yellow arrows persons who jump from window
5) yellow arrow on right lower are people who seemed to be on their feet interesting right at lower deck center stern area.

Who took this pic?...... the crew leaving? the crew coming back? or USCG first image from aircraft aprox 20 minutes after the first call for help?
The Smoke detectors seemed to have worked and someone deployed the fire hose at station # 1
I promise you i have not altered in any way the image just played with black and white and hues. Just go grab the pic off internet and do this yourself. Thx
fullsizeoutput_a4d.jpeg

In this image outline is persons on sundeck > center green arrow is possibly a person with life jacket on.

Attachments

• Image 9-16-19 at 11.23 AM.jpg
    Image 9-16-19 at 11.23 AM.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 119
In this image outline is persons on sundeck > center green arrow is possibly a person with life jacket on.
I think you're seeing an awful lot of stuff that may not be there and yoiu're speculating rather wildly. Direct me to the original source of this image please.

I think you're seeing an awful lot of stuff that may not be there and yoiu're speculating rather wildly. Direct me to the original source of this image please.
Original source...would be ...crew cell or USCG i would have to think

Just go to search engine and type in" conception boat" and you'll get this image View attachment 540509
The photo is from the SB Fire Department. Must have been taken after they arrived on scene (sometime between 3:30 and 4AM) and after all crew were off the boat and - not to sound too morbid about this - after everyone else was already long gone. I believe what you think you are seeing in the photo is simply not there and not true.

Original source...would be ...crew cell or USCG i would have to think
You are speculating and guessing WAAAAY too much, then assuming your speculation is correct, and then making further assumptions based on that. You need to deal in facts.

I apologize if you think I'm speculating. Please take a look at this last image , all I did was play with black and white etc in photo....
"it was all there in black and white" and "a picture is worth a thousand words" Hang on to your sear belt because here are some facts.
1) white arrow top of tower
2)red arrow at top ..radar dome (its round)
3)Blue arrow- deployed life boat on top of pilot house or burnt out pilot house roof
4) yellow lines are faint profiles of vessel
5) green arrows
Image 9-16-19 at 11.40 PM.jpg

6) red arrow at bottom of image pointing to a possible window of closed salon entry door.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom