Twin Jet vs. Jet Fin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mitten Diver

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
I am a new diver looking to upgrade my fins. I have read a ton of posts debating all of the different fins, and I think my next pair will either be Twin Jet or Jet fins. Has anyone done a comparison on these fins? Are there any advantages with either fin in certain conditions? My son and I will dive mostly fresh water lakes with summer trips with the dive shop to the Great Lakes. We may end up in the ocean, but have no plans on this for now. My son is only 13 so our diving does not get technical, though next spring we would like to train for our AOW so we can take advantage of some of the wreck diving here in the Great Lakes.

I will give you a gear config since this seems to be important for most that want to reply. In cold water like Lake Superior I dive a ScubPro S-Tech 7 mill with the Scuba-Pro molded boots. I dive with a high pressure steel tank. In warmer water I dive a 1 piece 3 mill with a high pressure steel tank. I have a set of lighter grade boots that I can wear for warmer water, but would probably just stick to the molded sole boots.

Mitten Diver

I personally HATE the Jetfins - they do not fit my feet well and they just don't work for me.

The IDI Power fins, on the other hand, are almost the same fin and yet they work ok on my feet - I prefer them over the Jets.

I have a pair of Twinjets that if you'd like them I'd sell them to you. They work well, but I won't lie - you can't back up in them! If that doesn't matter, then you'll like 'em - they are FAST for the effort put into kicking them.

Other than the backing up part, I really like them - but since I'm getting more and more into technical type diving, the backing up thing got important enough for me to go to the Powerfins.

Genesis,

You say you hate the way the fins fit is it because they are to wide for your foot? I have a very wide foot and find the pockets on my Veloce series fins to be to tight. I have an XL pair that I purchased when I handed my Large pair down to my son. They tend to give me cramps if I really have to push myself for an extended period of time. I suppose any fin would be an upgrade over these.

I might be interested in the twin jets send me private e-mail with the details.

Mitten Diver

just have a "funky" fin pocket. That's the only way I can describe it. It just doesn't fit my foot well at all.

Now for some reason the Powerfins fit me fine. I thought it was the fin STYLE - its not. Likewise, the Quattros don't work for me either, for the same reason. Its not cramping - its power transmission - there is none for me on those two. Tried 'em both, hated both.

Will PM 'ya on the Twins.

If you are just diving in lakes I think you will like the twin jets. Alot of power with very little effort. The jets are a very powerful fin but unless you frog kick they will wear you out pretty quickly. Just my 2 cents

There's no comparison, Jets are vastly superior to Twin Jets.

Jets do not "wear you out pretty quickly" they are very efficient fins and transfer your effort into motion, so you'll need less effort to get the same results.

I have the same problem as genisis, my feet are long and narrow and my toes end up bunched in the front. I have size 11, Maybe the xxl's will make this easier. But am going to take a look at the power fins. I tried some twin jets and liked the pocket but could not get the hang of any kicks other than a short quick flutter. If you plan to frog kick or do any modified kicking IMHO a blade would be better.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom