Twin-set manifold vs Sidemount vs Independent Twins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi DD,

What are the prerequisites for getting an SM cert?

Is tec 40 good enough?

thanks,
markm

Under PADI the student prerequisite is just open water certification. Post Sidemount you can take
technical sidemount which deals with deco stage handling either as part of a tec course or in addition

Instructor is paramount - it's not hard but someone who understand the rigs intimately is paramount for getting the tanks trimmed right

Side mount is a complete rabbit hole with different systems (and cults).

I went the X-Deep Stealth Tec route because it was well recommended, especially by my Tec instructor who was a Dive Rite dealer - and thus got nothing from the sale, and it fitted my needs and requirements

There are other way more qualified people living in the SM forums who can advise on the pros' and con's or different systems @RainPilot and @tbone1004 are two that spring to mind

Get an xDeep Stealth and go see Patrick Widmann down at Protec in Playa del Carmen. Great dive vacation and you'll learn to dive the system from the guy that designed it.

Be prepared to work hard though. PADI sidemount is pretty much a joke with 99% of the instructors. Sidemount as taught by a cave explorer is much tougher, even open water sidemount.

Another Xdeep group in the US is Hidden Worlds Diving in Florida - I think those two live in a cave underwater.

I follow a Facebook group called ‘sidemount diving’ (mostly to see diving pictures)

They have sometimes picture of people using quads:
Levent Aydogmus

Lol this one is funny, is he collecting used tanks ?
View attachment 497780

I have to assume he is surfacing with the entire teams spent stages post deco dive. At our normal spot we typically drop all our stage/deco gas at 20' when we pick up our O2. After clearing deco I will often butt clip several tanks to take them up.

Prereq is AOW and 30 logged dives. You need not have done the PADI recreational SM class.
Thanks for the clarification on the AoW for Tech

I was clearly mis sold my SM course. Although In hindsight it was good to have if spit into two courses with more instructor time to get things fettled after some dives in between courses

You learn something every day. Thanks

Get an xDeep Stealth and go see Patrick Widmann down at Protec in Playa del Carmen. Great dive vacation and you'll learn to dive the system from the guy that designed it.
Good info.

Note made: You can never stop learning and havign the insight from the guy that designed it would be great. Thanks Johnny

Prereq is AOW and 30 logged dives. You need not have done the PADI recreational SM class.

Hi tursiops,

I tried searching for descriptions for PADI rec SM, and Tec SM. I did not find much. I have a tec 40 cert already.

I am guessing the rec SM is a cut-and-dry course while the tec SM is more comprehensive.

I am interested in something that is bare-bones that gives a me a cert that clears the liability hurdle for a recreational dive boat operator in a vacation setting.

Do you have access to, or a link to a syllabus for the rec SM cert?

Thanks,
markm

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom