Twins on a Balance BCD?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Adelaide Jay

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I've recently started looking at deco diving. I'd discounted this in the past as between the cost of the course and the backplate+wing, the cost just killed me.

On a trip last week I saw a guy who'd set up twins on his BC. They were attatched via straps rather than bands and when I commented on the set-up, he said most BC's were capable of this, provided of course they had sufficient lift.

Does anyone have ideas / suggestions on where I can further investigate this? I'm struggling to find anyone who can supply the pieces to pull this adaption off, and I really dont want to buy a backplate when I'm only going deco for 10 dives per year.

All help greatly appreciated!

Jay

mmm... Nice 1! Thanks guys. :D

The Balance seems to be needing bands and a manifold according to an email I just got in. Typical that it'd take a week and arrive an hour after my post here!

I'll try to find out why that is, or whether he just meant it needed bands in order to have a manifold.

Manifold is what connects the double tanks together. There are individual valves that install into the tanks, with an isolation bar that connects them. The bands are what hold the doubles in their place.

I'm not at all sure I'd dive a Balance in doubles because of the lack of lift. I have an older Large and I believe the lift is only about 35 pounds.

I hate to say it, but if I were you, I'd sell the Balance and get a BP/W(s) -- a singles wing and a doubles wing. If you watch, you should be able to find a used system for a reasonable price. (But then I think DSS's package price is a very reasonable price.)

If you are planning on doing diving involving deco you will be buy a LOT more than just a BP/W and spending huge amounts of cash. The BP/W is probably what you will spend the least on in the end. Seriously, you'll look back and wish the only thing you had to buy was a BP/W.

People always say that if you are restricted to doing things on a budget so tight that you cut corners, tech diving isn't the sport for you. Now I'm not 100% sure that I agree with that but it does make sense and, considering all the other stuff you are going to buy, it really doesn't make sense to me to skimp on the BCD to save a few dollars when upi will be spending thousands anyway.

If you are seriously considering tech diving speak to a local knowledgeable person (a good place to start would be an instructor who might end up doing your course) and try to find out why tech divers use the specific gear (i.e. the BP/W) that they do, what the benefits are and why they don't use jacket BCDs.

Good luck, hope you find some answers to your questions.

I've recently started looking at deco diving. I'd discounted this in the past as between the cost of the course and the backplate+wing, the cost just killed me.

On a trip last week I saw a guy who'd set up twins on his BC. They were attatched via straps rather than bands and when I commented on the set-up, he said most BC's were capable of this, provided of course they had sufficient lift.

Does anyone have ideas / suggestions on where I can further investigate this? I'm struggling to find anyone who can supply the pieces to pull this adaption off, and I really dont want to buy a backplate when I'm only going deco for 10 dives per year.

All help greatly appreciated!

Jay

First, I want to go on the list to state that I am a newbie, and do not have the best knowledge in these things. I do know, however, that if you get into doubles, or "twins" as you call them, you'll probably get into stuff like a can light, or more advanced diving requiring the BP/W rig.

I can tell you right now that you can purchase an Agir Brokk (I own a singles rig from them, and am very satisfied with them, other than one warranty issue which was resolved immediately) BP/W rig for around $675. There are tons of other manufacturers out there, such as Dive Rite, or Oxycheq, or Halcyon, or DSS and they all make good gear that I would have no problems using. In the long term, you might go and convert your Balance to a doubles BC, but you'll probably end up going to BP/W anyways.....

Again, I'm a newbie....hope that helps!

Taylor
Vicdiver656

When I owned my Seaquest ProQD i3, I read in the manual that it can accomodate a small pair of doubles up to 100 cuft but preferred you dialed down to two 80 cuft or smaller.

You had to order a special Cam band to secure the set to your BCD. It also stated that although possible with this addition they highly noted that the lift on the BCD is a problem with certain tanks and that careful consideration be taken.

It was too much red tape for me and I backed away and later sold my BCD for some nice cash and purchased a WTX harness with a travel wing for single diving.

I'd recommend you not push the limits of the Balance into DECO diving, in my opinion the Balance is a elite recreational BCD. You don't want something happening down at 140 + feet with a possible failure.

Dive safe...

Nobody yet said he's gonna die if he dives doubles with a conventional BCD? :D

4sak3n has some good points in his post, as well as Mike. BP/W is the route to go, plus you can dive singles/non-deco/whatever with it, just change the wing for a smaller one (I believe they can be found used for decent money).

Back
Top Bottom