Info Two New Dive Computers from Scubapro for 23! LUNA 2.0 (with & without Air Integration with GF) with aggressive pricing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I suspect someone on this thread is too incompetent a diver not to have his hand held every time he dives.

Has that ever happened before? Or did you just make it up for this thread? My wife is a PI attorney and she burst into laughter when I mentioned this to her.

Maybe she should call Suunto and ask about "life-threatening defects". Like when the depth sensor goes titsup and the luser decides that down is up.

Maybe she should call Suunto and ask about "life-threatening defects". Like when the depth sensor goes titsup and the luser decides that down is up.
Wow. You just changed the topic. Nice move.

PS You conceded that SUUNTOs have a defect. Is the lockup one too?

I suppose that's a reasonable solution: if the user is really intent on doing something stupid, let them, but require an affirmative action that will be interpreted as user assent by the court.
I think there are multiple ways to cover the perceived liability. Disclaimers and warnings in the manual, warnings logged with the dive details. An intentional step to disable the lockout. And others opt for a lockout. How real this liability fear is is the question.

I looked and saw a couple of court cases involving dive computers. In the cases I saw, the manufacturer was one that uses the lockout. More importantly, though, the lawsuit was based upon a malfunction with the dive computer. And even moreso, a malfunction that was proven to be known to the manufacturer ahead of time.

A computer functioning as intended and providing necessary warnings to the diver if violations occurred seems to provide some protection to the manufacturer from a liability standpoint. Or even if the dive computer doesn't find any problems with the dive. This is why you'll often see a warning in the manual that advise that backup instruments should be used.

Wow. You just changed the topic. Nice move.

PS You conceded that SUUNTOs have a defect. Is the lockup one too?

The opposite, actually: the life-saving device continues to function like nothing's the matter when the diver should be seeking immediate medical attention. I sure hope nobody tries that argument on Shearwater: they did nothig to deserve it, but if I can think of it, I'm sure someone else will too.

The opposite, actually: the life-saving device continues to function like nothing's the matter when the diver should be seeking immediate medical attention. I sure hope nobody tries that argument on Shearwater: they did nothig to deserve it, but if I can think of it, I'm sure someone else will too.

Reductio ad absurdum. I doubt that anyone especially you understands your nonsensical position.

Reductio ad absurdum. I doubt that anyone especially you understands your nonsensical position.

I still haven't figured out why anyone would set their conservatism to 85%, surface at 90%, and then complain when the computer says they overshot their target setting. All my random poking and prodding here failed to elicit a legible response, so yeah: I don't understand. And I don't expect I ever will.

I still haven't figured out why anyone would set their conservatism to 85%, surface at 90%, and then complain when the computer says they overshot their target setting. All my random poking and prodding here failed to elicit a legible response, so yeah: I don't understand. And I don't expect I ever will.
Ha, set your GF high at 95, ascend whenever you want within NDL. Surface at your chosen surface GF by following Surf GF. You won't be in deco, you will surface with your chosen conservancy.

I don’t expect that you’ll get a response that you agree with. I stated earlier (not sure if this thread or another) that I wouldn’t do that. I also don’t hit Snooze on my alarm clock.

Instead, I set mine at 95, and use SurfGF to determine when to surface at a lower percentage than my GFHi setting.

In your example, what would the appropriate reaction be from a dive computer? Should the computer lockout for 24 or 48 hours for a 5% difference that is still below the max allowed by the computer. Assume no DCS symptoms. Despite what you said earlier, a violation of a user set point does not mean that the diver is bent.

Ha, set your GF high at 95, surface whenever you want in NDL. Surface at your chosen surface GF by following Surf GF. You won't be in deco, you will surface with your chosen conservancy.
If you are like me, you will not have to make many adjustments. My average surfacing GF is somewhere around 50.

Back
Top Bottom