Two weeks at beginning of August, where to dive???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pogiebait

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'm an AOW diver with 200+ dives. I will have about 2 weeks at the start of August '17 to go anywhere to dive. Preference is for warm waters, pelagics, opportunities for wide angle shooting. Where are the must do locations at this time of the year? Don't even know how to easily search for this. I've been to the Caribbeans, Thailand, Maldives. Getting in all my dives for the year those 2 weeks, so where to go???

August is a also a good time for diving in Indonesia. One of the best area for wide angle shooting is Raja Ampat with mantas, colorful reefs, pygmy seahorses and etc. Komodo or Cendrawasih Bay with whale sharks might be the good option also. If you are interested or need more info you can have a look at some selected liveaboard trips in Indonesia.

Hope this is helpful :)

North Komodo usually has warm clear water in August. Excellent wide angle possibilities with schooling fish, hard and soft corals, rays and reef sharks. The south can be a little chilly at that time, but August is manta season and manta alley can be an incredible. LOB's usually spend 1 to 2 days in the south at this time of year (if you can handle 2 days of chilly water, you'll be glad you did).

Looking at Hopper, EVA's new non-stop from Chicago (Chicago-Tapei-Bali) I see $884 round-trip to Bali and Singapore airline is offering $690 from New York. Not sure where you are coming from, your info suggests Indiana, that's not too far to drive to Chicago?

Wherever you end up have an incredible dive holiday!

Cheers

I would second the advice to head to Indonesia. Komodo on a liveaboards if you have the budget would be wonderful. Less costly but also very good would be Bali. The Philippines is also an excellent destination with virtually guaranteed thresher sharks and whale sharks ( fed by the villagets for a few hours per day) .Another option would be two liveaboards in the Red Sea. We have seen hammer heads, mantas and many many sharks in the southern red sea.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom