Uber Approved in Quintana Roo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have only had one bad taxi experience in Cozumel. All the others have been extremely pleasant. I enjoy chatting with the drivers, I learn something new every time.
Yo tambien. Virtually all my experiences with taxis on Cozumel have been positive with a few standouts who have gone to great lengths to help make our experiences on the island good ones. We have a favorite driver whom we contact before we head down to let him know we are coming; he takes us to dinner every night and on our annual all day around the island excursion. We won't be Ubering this April.

Here in Austin it's a completely different story.

Why have taxis historically been barred from picking up at the airport? It's hard to judge whether Uber drivers should be able to do so if it's not known why taxi drivers can't.

Why have taxis historically been barred from picking up at the airport?
It would cause too much traffic and holding in front of the terminal, and they prefer you use their vans.
It's hard to judge whether Uber drivers should be able to do so if it's not known why taxi drivers can't.
The Uber window sticker will probably stop them.

Uber has more money than taxis, that probably plays into airport access

Uber has more money than taxis, that probably plays into airport access
I would be surprised if Ubers are enabled to pick up at the airport while taxis are not. Again, time will tell. I hope they work it out ahead of time instead of resorting to traffic protest blockages at the airport.

Yo tambien. Virtually all my experiences with taxis on Cozumel have been positive with a few standouts who have gone to great lengths to help make our experiences on the island good ones. We have a favorite driver whom we contact before we head down to let him know we are coming; he takes us to dinner every night and on our annual all day around the island excursion. We won't be Ubering this April.

Here in Austin it's a completely different story.
You couldn't pay me to get into a taxi where I live. Uber and Lyft on the other hand, pretty much always a good experience. I'm with you though, I'll continue supporting the local CZ taxi drivers even after Uber arrives.

It would cause too much traffic and holding in front of the terminal, and they prefer you use their vans.
Also, someone arriving on a plane will typically have more (some of us a lot more) stuff with them than they will when they are going out to dinner or the grocery store. A great many of the taxis on Cozumel are compact cars that are too small for that sort of trip and I'm sure the same will be true for Uber vehicles. The shuttles have large luggage compartments that can handle the load.

Yes, I know that some people prefer to schlep their equipaje out to the street to catch a cab rather than ride the shuttle, but those folks are self selected by the 200+ yard trek off the airport grounds to have a small enough load of luggage that it will fit into a typical taxi.

I'll continue supporting the local CZ taxi drivers even after Uber arrives.
If, and a big IF, Uber does start on the island, it'll be with local drivers and cars. It's probably an issue for Uber and the local drivers union to work out.

Back
Top Bottom