Ultima Dry Glove System question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can't wait to! :) My favorite piece of gear right now. :)

Unfortunately, BARE says no until it's released... Sometime in the next couple of months (first quarter of 2019).

All crushed neoprene - with an extending torso. Front entry ("self-donning") only... Available YKK plastic zipper, which I'm a big fan of (but don't ever try to retrofit one - new suit only).

Available SiTech "tech" boots... Internal bib... Very much like a DUI CF200, but very updated with better construction (welded, not glued). SiTech boots, valves, and seals instead of DUI stuff.

While I can't actually video it (and may be in violation just talking about it), I can tell you that you MIGHT catch a glimpse of it here and there during some of my other videos at www.youtube.com/deepsouthdivers. It's the only drysuit I own that is all black and has no royal blue on it.

The drysuit in my profile pic here is a BARE SB, which is NOT the Sentry.

Reactions: Zef
Installed the Ultima Soft DGS on my Waterproof EX2 last week... Loved the first couple of dives. Now waiting for the Atlas 720s to arrive to replace the latex gloves I bought from Waterproof and was relatively unimpressed with.

Question: given that there is not (as far as I can tell) a pair of Fourth Element Exotherm gloves to be found anywhere (DRIS shows a backorder with expected ship date of 4/30/19) does anyone have an alternative recommendation? I can't wear wool so that's out of the question.

Dave

I think any synthetic glove liner will do for now. On SeaJay's recommendation, I made a dive without liners. I wasn't cold, but the water in Socal is still too warm right now.

Go to anyplace that sells ski gear...glove liners are common item for skiing. You will find everything from ultra thin silk liners all the way to thick fleece or even down liners for gore-tex shell gloves and mittens. The silk liners are remarkably warm for their thinness, but polypro or merino wool type material may be better for diving.

-Z

Just got a new batch of 720s with no epoxy on them. :)

Attachments

• 20181129_105233.jpg
    20181129_105233.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 65
  • 20181129_105240.jpg
    20181129_105240.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 60
I think any synthetic glove liner will do for now. On SeaJay's recommendation, I made a dive without liners. I wasn't cold, but the water in Socal is still too warm right now.

...So was it good diving undergloveless, or did you go back to diving with undergloves?

I like diving undergloveless because it allows better dexterity for working with nuts and bolts and such.

That said... I've been diving with my Xerotherm undergloves all week. The water's still 60° or so, but the air's been in the low 30's, and the undergloves have been nice.

Fourth Element says that their Xerotherm material (both the undergarment and the undergloves) is a particularly dense form of synthetic fleece... Which helps resist compression. If true, it would mean a warmer underglove than most that are the same thickness... Especially if you dive with a slight squeeze like I do.

I can attest to their surprising warmth - and find the undergarments much warmer than other brands of similar undergarments of the same thickness. They fit better, too - FourthE seems to do a really nice job making things fit well.

I assume that the undergloves would compare the same way - I have no other underglove to compare to except FourthE's own G1 glove (1mm neoprene underglove).

Regarding inventory - call Christy at Cave Country dive shop in High Springs, FL. She may have some in stock.

I went without my Xerotherm undergloves one dive. It felt strange, as if the gloves were leaking but I was bone dry after the dive. I suppose I could get used to diving without them but hopefully our water will cool off soon. It should be in the low 50s-high 40s in a month or so.

It was crazy warm here today, 60, so I had to get out. Over an hour with the water temp being 45.

My wrist seal repair was good. So my 262’s were bone dry. They are warm and soft, with good dexterity. I was pretty happy with them today. I’ll keep with them and see how they fair.

With all the good advice I ordered the sitech oval system to mount the permanent ring in my suit. I talked with DRIS and was reassured it’s a diy project. I’m looking forward to getting them installed. I think it will be a more reliable system with the ultima rings. Maybe even reliable enough to go without a wrist seal like seajay.

Regarding thin under gloves - I'm using a pair of thin fleece "smart" gloves - the ones that have the index finger and thumb meant to be used with smart phones. They've worked fine in 50F water for an hour.

You can get them cheap at Walmart or Target ($10-15). I have to admit that I've gotten them in the women's accessory section. I actually don't know if they make them for men or in big enough sizes for the guys!

Yeah, keep us posted on the SHOWA 282s and their less-furry brother, the 281s. PU gloves like those have some very interesting characteristics, so they're definitely something I'd like to try if they work well for you.

Remind us again what repair you had to make. Did you take pictures or video? Ring issue?

Your plan is to install the oval cuffs yourself? The glue-on part? Man, you've got more guts than I do - I've never tried gluing my own suit at all.

I know DRIS has like a one-week turnaround time on suit repairs... Surprised you're not taking advantage of that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom