Ultima Dry Glove System question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I hold the ring down with my foot rather than my fingers, this gives you the advantage of having 10 fingers for wrestling the gloves in place.
Although judging from your video you didn't struggle more than I did so there's definitely more ways than one for getting them on smoothly :)

Honestly I can not read anything that suggests either way, I would guess the price is for just 1 glove ring though.
Also, 320NOK is €32.94 atm, not 41 :wink:
The shipping options are only for the following countries:
Norway
Denmark
Sweden
Finland
Germany
Ireland
UK
US

And here comes the chorus....
THE SHIPPING FOR ONE GOD DAMN GLOVE RING TO SWEDEN IS 632NOK TO 800NOK, THAT'S €70-€82 JUST FOR SHIPPING, WHAT :rant:

I'm slightly mad at the moment :D

Zut!

I got the 41 euros by changing the currency option from NOK to euros in the upper right corner of the webpage, the site displays the price of the ring as 41.67 euros, so they may not be using the same exchange rate.

I didn't get so far as checking shipping....too bad they don't ship to Belgium but with the cost for shipping it seems it would not be worth it anyway.

-Z

OMG, finally got to the end of this thread! I have been wading through the posts for almost a week! I try to wait to post till I've read a whole thread...

I have to blame partly SeaJay and his work videos, which slowed me down even more than the 56 pages... I got sidetracked watching his YouTube channel!

I have a Santi drysuit and have been using the Smart Gloves system (not the Magic Rings system) for the past year. Prior, diving wet gloves, I had awful leakage from channeling around my wrist tendons, even with the smallest latex seals available (I have really skinny wrists). I remember just dreading reaching back to vent my wing because each time, I'd get a shot of cold water up my arm. Changing to dry gloves has been ah-ma-zing.

I am using some black latex unlined gloves (Ansell G17K and Mapa NS 420) that are like black dishwashing gloves. I also had ordered a set of Showa 723 gloves (similar to the above) but I think I tore one when installing and so right now I'm diving one of each of the above.

They don't seem like they would be very durable, but I haven't had major problems diving with the thin latex gloves. Additionally, the Santi system seems much easier to use than the Ultima system as far as mounting a glove. Aside from needing to watch the linked video since I forget every time, it's very easy. No jig, cursing, hurt fingers, etc needed. I applaud you guys for your tenacity.

I'm using some basic wool undergloves I bought on Amazon, and have been considering other options.

Based on SeaJay's ringing endorsement, I ordered some samples from Showa today, so thanks for that phone # and info. I was kind of amazed that they really did agree to mail some free samples to me, a lowly Jane Diver with no company name. Kathy hooked me up! I asked for a set of 720, 660, and 282. I wasn't sure what size to get, so for the 720 and 660, I asked for 2 sizes. Hopefully one will be right. I have kind of long, skinny fingers and skinny hands, plus who knows if the thick wool undergloves I currently use would still be needed if the new ones are warmer.

After asking for the samples, I saw some posts that suggested maybe non latex gloves won't mount on the Santi system. So, I guess I'm about to find out, when those samples arrive. If not, it's not like I'm unhappy with the latex ones. Though you'd think they would be super delicate, I've found they hold up pretty well, especially considering the price. Of course, I'm not using an underwater chainsaw... which, btw, link to video please? I need to see an underwater chainsaw. :)

I have mounted Showa 720s on Santi Glove rings and they are fine. Due to textile liner the gloves do not seal under the O ring, but probably between the layers tucked under the "beauty ring". But they are dry. Used this method.

There is also another way to installaatio The gloves on Santi rings.

Afaik, Santi recommends the first method also for lined gloves.

Videos are not mine.

I have to blame partly SeaJay and his work videos, which slowed me down even more than the 56 pages... I got sidetracked watching his YouTube channel!

Oh the flattery! :D

Thank you for the compliment. :)

They don't seem like they would be very durable, but I haven't had major problems diving with the thin latex gloves.

That's awesome! I suppose that it really has to do with the environment that you're diving in. If they're working for you, then by all means, use them! Having a glove that is super supple and has lots of dexterity and tactile function is definitely the way to go.

Here, latex gets quickly shredded due to oysters and barnacles... Which is why I used the 660s for years. I think Max and I both did - we're just thrilled to have a glove that feels more like a latex glove without losing any of the toughness of the 660.

Additionally, the Santi system seems much easier to use than the Ultima system as far as mounting a glove. Aside from needing to watch the linked video since I forget every time, it's very easy. No jig, cursing, hurt fingers, etc needed. I applaud you guys for your tenacity.

Thanks! :)

I've had several SANTI drysuits - none of which came with the SmartRings... And since the SmartRings aren't available as an aftermarket option, they're not available to the majority of divers on this thread unless they're buying a new SANTI suit.

SANTI's SmartRings are very similar to the Waterproof Ultima Dryglove Ring System in several ways... And the same mounting procedures could be done on either system and with the same gloves.

We, too, could mount the gloves on the rings using the interior of the glove - the effectiveness of that method comes down to type of glove, lining material (if any), and how dry we really want to be in the gloves. For most, that means either using a latex "Marigold" style glove with no liner or mounting the glove so that the exterior of the glove is the sealing surface.

...And if the latter is chosen, it can be done with (2nd video above) or without (my last video) a jig.

I'm using some basic wool undergloves I bought on Amazon, and have been considering other options.

I've been especially pleased with Fourth Element's Xerotherm "glove liner" (they mean "underglove"), but find that the 720 is so much warmer than a latex glove - and even the 660s - that I often go without undergloves at all... Which is really nice. It's not as comfy and warm without the undergloves, but it's definitely doable (unlike with a latex glove) and adds significant dexterity and tactile feel.

A second choice would be the Fourth Element G1, but it's a far second. It's made of 1mm neoprene (wetsuit material) and has the advantage of staying warm even when wet (like if you get the G1 wet prior to installing your gloves).

I haven't tried any other undergloves... But logic denotes that the fit, material (no cotton), and a seamless design would win big props in the underglove department.

Based on SeaJay's ringing endorsement, I ordered some samples from Showa today, so thanks for that phone # and info. I was kind of amazed that they really did agree to mail some free samples to me, a lowly Jane Diver with no company name. Kathy hooked me up! I asked for a set of 720, 660, and 282. I wasn't sure what size to get, so for the 720 and 660, I asked for 2 sizes. Hopefully one will be right. I have kind of long, skinny fingers and skinny hands, plus who knows if the thick wool undergloves I currently use would still be needed if the new ones are warmer.

You're welcome! :)

You definitely ordered the right gloves. We'd love to hear a review when you're done... Especially coming from latex gloves. You'll likely fall in love with the 720s and find yourself much less reliant on undergloves for warmth... Which adds to your dexterity and tactile feel. Compared to latex, you'll find them rugged and trustworthy and very confidence-inspring. Warm, too. Did I mention warm? :D

Of course, I'm not using an underwater chainsaw... which, btw, link to video please? I need to see an underwater chainsaw. :)

Oh, the badassery is astoundingly addicting. :)

Reactions: Zef
I have mounted Showa 720s on Santi Glove rings and they are fine. Due to textile liner the gloves do not seal under the O ring, but probably between the layers tucked under the "beauty ring". But they are dry. Used this method.

There is also another way to installaatio The gloves on Santi rings.

Afaik, Santi recommends the first method also for lined gloves.

Videos are not mine.

GREAT videos... That really helps us understand the SANTI system.

I can't help but to notice that the gloves going on those rings are SHOWA 660s. It should be even easier with the SHOWA 720. Better fit and dexterity, too.

Reactions: Zef
I did buy my suit with the Smart Rings installed. I didn't realize they can't put that on afterward... couldn't DRIS do it, but you'd have to send them your suit? That was one thing I liked about the Smart Gloves, you can install them over the Smart Rings yourself. I didn't want to send in my suit! Unlike some of you guys, I only have one.

Well, the underwater chainsaw did not disappoint! I am a bit jealous of you, diving for work and working outside. It looks like a fun job. Although, I am sure like every job, it's not all fun, and there are lots of unpleasantries that don't make the video. Sometimes it's just nice to daydream about what it would be like to have a massive career change.

I will be back with a review (and probably questions) when my glove samples arrive. I'm looking for the best compromise of warmth and dexterity. I'm struggling a bit with doing my valve drill in doubles, and so anything that will give me a bit of an edge on that would be great.

Ya know, regarding those Xerotherm undergloves, dang it! I *just* ordered some closeout Xerotherm base layers from DRIS a few days ago, and I was mulling over the undergloves, and then took them out of my cart. I probably would have gone ahead and ordered them if I'd already gotten to the page in this thread where you started talking about them!

I have hard hands to fit since my fingers are long but my hands are small. I was not wanting to get the wrong size and have to send them back, or find out that no size will be a good fit. I wish I could try them on locally. I may still bite the bullet and order them and just hope they fit. I've had some not very good luck with doing that in the past, though. Either the gloves are too loose or the fingers are way too short.

I did buy my suit with the Smart Rings installed. I didn't realize they can't put that on afterward... couldn't DRIS do it, but you'd have to send them your suit?

Oh yes... DRIS would be thrilled to install the rings for us. They've always done a fantastic job doing whatever modifications we've asked them to do.

The problem is... SANTI does not sell the rings separately. They are available as a factory option only, and not available after that.

That was one thing I liked about the Smart Gloves, you can install them over the Smart Rings yourself. I didn't want to send in my suit! Unlike some of you guys, I only have one.

I think that most people here only have one drysuit... We have the privilege of having multiples only because we dive for a living and can justify the price of having multiple suits in case one gets damaged and needs to be sent off for repair. We also get some pretty big breaks in price - like half off - because we buy factory direct and in quantity. Some of the drysuit companies even send us testers (prototype suits) for free just so that we'll take them out and run them through their paces and give the companies feedback. I can't tell you how many times I've said to a manufacturer, "Oh, go ahead and send us a few of those. We'll break the **** out of them for you and let you know what gave out first." The manufacturers couldn't be happier.

I do 2-4 dives a day, at least five days a week... Sometimes six or seven. I take vacations once a month or so, but they usually involve diving so... I dunno... Maybe 600-800 dives a year? And that's just me - I have 38 guys working for me.

The manufacturers absolutely love us... And we, them. The best part of it all is being able to tell them how to make the gear. They don't always listen, but when they do, it's GOOD... And the latest drysuit from BARE (should be out next month) is very much our own custom creation. I'm not sure how much of what we told them will actually make it to the showroom floor (we have some pretty redneck, radical ideas), but... Even if they adopt only a few, the new suit will be positively bad to the bone. :)

PM me for some info on the suit if you're interested... I am not yet allowed to talk about it publicly.

Well, the underwater chainsaw did not disappoint! I am a bit jealous of you, diving for work and working outside. It looks like a fun job. Although, I am sure like every job, it's not all fun, and there are lots of unpleasantries that don't make the video. Sometimes it's just nice to daydream about what it would be like to have a massive career change.

Believe me, I understand.

For 15 years I spent every day in an office. When I finally got my own cubicle (and later, my own office with four walls), I decorated it with my favorite hobbies... The primary one being diving, of course.

Every day I was underwater in my mind... Even though I was paid to do something else (I worked in tech - computers, internet, wireless, phones, etc).

Long story short: One day I'd simply had enough. Enough of the politics. Enough of the structure. Enough of going to work in the dark and coming home in the dark. Enough of my boss.

...So I was fed up. And in a rash decision of frustration, I pulled a "Falling Down" (old Michael Douglas movie) move and made a giant leap. I told my boss to shove it and told him that I was going diving.

"Okay, but what are you going to do for a living? We both know there's nothing better than working for the government."

I smiled and walked out.

The next morning was hell. I couldn't believe what I'd done... But I put on my gear and rationalized... Even if my income got cut in half, I'd be happier. I went to the local marina and scraped barnacles off the bottom of a boat.

Funny thing was... That day I earned basically what took me a week to earn at my job.

I never once saw a pay cut. I was profitable from day one.

Today the company does something like 3.8 million a year - about $100k for each diver that I employ.

My old boss came to me a few years ago and asked for a job. :/ I told him to go get certified and I'd put him in the water. He didn't.

Moral of the story? Follow your heart... Because that'll make you the best at what you do. And if you're the best at what you do, the money will find you.

Thank you for the compliments on my work... I can assure you that it's the hardest, most difficult, and most uncomfortable thing I have ever done... But I wouldn't change it for anything in the world.

This morning's job was working as a government contractor for the US Coast Guard. I earned more today than my old job paid me in two months. Dive time about 40 minutes.

That said, I still stood on the dock with a cup of coffee in 28 degree weather and wondered why the hell I ever left a job-job.

Once I was in, it all made sense.

Oh - and there was the invoice I sent later. :)

I will be back with a review (and probably questions) when my glove samples arrive. I'm looking for the best compromise of warmth and dexterity. I'm struggling a bit with doing my valve drill in doubles, and so anything that will give me a bit of an edge on that would be great.

Hm. Well... I don't know that you're going to get better than latex gloves for that... But you CAN do better than latex with a thick underglove (which is how they're really dived).

Yeah - my bet is that you're going to wind up LOVING either the 720s or the 281s.

Ya know, regarding those Xerotherm undergloves, dang it! I *just* ordered some closeout Xerotherm base layers from DRIS a few days ago, and I was mulling over the undergloves, and then took them out of my cart. I probably would have gone ahead and ordered them if I'd already gotten to the page in this thread where you started talking about them!

Can you not still get them? Give them a shot - they're remarkably thin for the warmth they offer. Super comfy too. :)

I have hard hands to fit since my fingers are long but my hands are small. I was not wanting to get the wrong size and have to send them back, or find out that no size will be a good fit. I wish I could try them on locally. I may still bite the bullet and order them and just hope they fit. I've had some not very good luck with doing that in the past, though. Either the gloves are too loose or the fingers are way too short.

Yeah... You're really going to like the 720s. :)

So today I lost one of my xerotherm gloves. I had to improvise. And my improvisation was better than the xerotherm so I decided to share.

I went digging for something similar and remembered I had some Burton liners for when I go snowboarding. Burton Powerstretch Liner, True Black, Medium\Large https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ICTHNA6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_D4nvCb82ZPM64

Same warmth, but they work 10x better inside the 720's. The rubber texture on the palms gives you much better dexterity. The liner doesn't slide on the inside of the glove when manipulating bolt snaps. Figured I'd share.

Nice!!

Are they the same fleece material as the FourthE Xerotherm gloves? Same thickness?

I like the rubber stuff... And they're probably a lot easier to get, too. Apparently the Xerotherm gloves aren't easy to find.

It'd be nice to have an underglove that doesn't slide around so much.

I do not know exactly what they are made of because mine are about 4 years old with no tags. But they feel very similar. I would say they are the same thickness. They do fit a little more snug, but I can always get a larger pair. At the end of the day it's on $20. I'd give it a shot. You won't be disappointed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom