Ultima Dry Glove System question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

6364DA09-B650-4F11-BA8C-41174B30D357.png
I've been working on this project, best gloves, for awhile now if you have been following this thread. Thanks to seajay's input and effort, and recent care package, I'll try to do a fair comparison and be objective as I can.

I think everybody' best glove is related to their environment and personal choice. Seajays environment and needs is certainly different than mine and will influence each of us. But I hope to think out loud here and present information so we can all make a good choice on solid info.
I'm certainly no expert and welcome input and rely on everyone to fill in any blanks.

So my basic kit is a rebreather, fusion drysuit, and ultima ring system. I dive on Great Lakes shipwrecks as well as freshwater quarries. The water is always cold here, even in late summer, it's 38f at depth. So I spend a lot of time and energy to stay warm. My Achilles heel is my hands, when they get cold and hurt, it's difficult to solve problems and have fun.

I really think the basic factors in making a decision is fourfold. This is my order, yours may be different.

Fit- if they don't fit it's a no starter.
Tough/ dry - if they won't withstand the daily rigors of your diving and open up, that defeats the purpose of going dry.
Dexterity- being comfortable and able to manipulate your gear is next for me. I have spent years dive developing skills to work with dry gloves and insulation. It ain't easy. I dream of diving warm water someday.
And lastly, Warmth, which is influenced by the material the glove is made of. I defer to Seajay on this one, as nitrile has the best insulating properties, so I have tried to emphasize this material.

I've listed in the spreadsheet the gloves I have dived or have on hand. Included is the material and toughness, EN388, testing, specifically. I'm going to let this info settle in, and I'll make comments on each glove, stand by for that.

Reactions: Zef
Pure gold. This deserves it's own thread. That chart is priceless.

FB24981D-E3EE-4946-A8E8-37DD9161C3EA.jpeg
As I listed fit, first on my priority list, that deserves a few lines. I usually wear an Xtra large glove for the most part, so I have to get an xl underglove of some sort into the dry glove. So this presents a problem with the gloves I have available to me. So if you have a smaller hand, fit can be a non issue.

Seajay has a lot of real time in a demanding environment on his 720's. So I will consider this the gold standard. Unfortunately for me, the 720's are cut smaller than some of the others, I can get only the thinnest underglove in them. I tried that setup, but considered it less than ideal because it wasnt as warm as my old setup.

So I'll start with some comments on the gloves in the list.

As you can see, the rubber gloves certainly aren't the toughest as we know, and can be very expensive, $40-$50 easily. So I'll take those out of the running. They are pretty stretchy and easy to mount, but any gloves I've used take less than 10 minutes to unmounted and mount with my simple jig.

The 3416 are certainly the toughest on the list but by far the thickest as well, and cut similar to the 720's. So they are off my list. If you had a smaller had and working in a tough environment, they would be worth a go, especially if you didn't need high dexterity. They have a pretty wide cuff and would seem easy to mount because of that fact.

7D7A1251-8E8F-4CC7-9522-C88E29F018CF.jpeg

I've watched Seajay's video on the Ansell, they are cut in the same size as the 720's and I agree they are thinner than the 720's. They are very comfortable on, but I might have to be convinced about their durability. If it wasn't for the size I would give them a go.

The 379 is a nice glove. Cut somewhere between the 720 and 620. The thickness is very similar. I'm thinking the better tear resistance on the 720 is due to the full second coating on the hand. The second coating on the 379 seems to have air blown into like a wetsuit. And I love the color. This is a definite maybe for me.

E779C184-8173-4FBD-AAD5-0A4ECA207BD6.jpeg

These are the 282's. I really love these gloves. They are so so comfy. They have a nice thick fuzzy liner. The are thin and stretchy and so high dexterity. The are warmer than the other gloves I have worn. The fit is perfect even with a thin liner under them for extra warmth. And they are rated somewhere in the middle for toughness.

But........ They don't love me. I haven't had good luck with them not leaking. And their expensive $20 to $30. When they are dry they are heaven, but they aren't reliable. So the hunt for the best glove continues.

Love this! Fun project!

Great info... And to get a second opinion.

What do you think you'll want to try first? I have a sneakin' suspicion that you're gonna end up with the 379's.

Are folks having the same response from Showa (USA) if they phone for glove samples versus complete the online form to request a sample?

No. When I call 800-241-0323 and talk to the girls there, they send me whatever I ask for. I think they generally limit it to four styles at a time.

There's been other people who have reported having the same issue - but I never have.

If you get a really hard time, the SHOWA 720s are only like seven or eight dollars a pair. Do a Google search for the best price and seller. I like Zoro - fast shipping, great prices.

Ansell's gotten a little less slick lately with their samples - even when I talk to a salesperson (they love me because I own the company I work for) and THEY put a sample order in for me, I don't always get them.

Reactions: Zef
F4FD7896-A17E-425E-A694-D2122E0F5D13.jpeg

These are the nsk24. They are nitrile. Not as tough as some of the others but similar thickness, cut pretty much the same as the 660 and 620. They are more flexible than the pvc gloves. It seems as the second dipping on the hand is not as complete as the 720. It seems more of a way to add the nice gripping surface rather than a second coating for toughness.

So they fit. They are nitrile and warmer than the pvc gloves. They are more flexible and have good dexterity. They may not be as tough as the 720, but then again I don't have a chainsaw or scraper. So I'm gonna mount these up. The cuff is fairly long, I may cut them down a bit. I'll post a Pic when I get them mounted, and review after I get them in the water. Keeping my fingers crossed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom