Ultima Dry Glove System question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I did a search for nitrile gloves like the 720 and these came up along with the nsk.

It IS a cool color!

No, I haven't had them on my hands or seen them in person. I CAN tell you that they're nitrile and have a synthetic liner in them - both of which are good things.

Yeah, the ratings are a little different than the 720s... +1 on abrasion and -1 on puncture. I can clearly see that they're double-dipped with a different secondary color on the palm only. The 720 is double-dipped on the whole hand, but only to the wrist - and while it's a slightly different color, it's not as shockingly cool as it is in the 379s.

Call SHOWA tomorrow and request a free sample. Their phone number is 800-241-0323. That's how I got all the gloves I have. :D

For what it's worth... The Ansells are also green... Although more of a seafoam color.

20190221_174110.jpg

I thought I had more gloves in size 11 to send you... But it looks like I only have three variants:

Ansell 58-530B
SHOWA NSK 24
SHOWA 3416

There's two pairs of each.

Looking forward to your review. :)

New arrival today. I love the color. Nitrile. Cut a little more generous than the 720, not at big as 620. Otherwise very similar in thickness, dexterity, and liner. I’m excited to compare with my incoming care package.
D51090E0-F93F-4DB4-9168-C9A4FB78E339.jpeg

Sweet! Looking forward to the review!

Gonna start calling you "Green Lantern." I agree it's a very cool color. Nice to see something unique.

Reactions: Zef
Our latest video is up! It features the SHOWA 720 gloves on the Waterproof Ultima Dryglove Ring System being used during a nasty job cutting a steel I-beam - loaded with oysters, barnacles, and jagged metal - for the US Coast Guard.

See it here:

...And yes, this was done "sealless" - without any wrist seals whatsoever. That's how much confidence we have in the SHOWA 720s.

Latex gloves wouldn't have stood a chance. :D

The 660's would have been okay too - but they'd have given me a lot less hand flexibility and been more prone to punctures than the 720s. Fit isn't as good either, since they're cut larger since they have much less stretch in them.

Orange 620s would have been somewhere between the 720s and the 660s... More prone to punctures than either, with less flexibility and tactile function than the 720s, but more flexibility and tactile function than the 660s.

Bottom line? 720s. Dry as a bone, fit like a glove (pun intended), warmer than any other similar option, and TOUGH. Tougher than oysters, barnacles, and jagged, rusty steel.

I can't say enough about the 720s. I won't dive anything else when diving dry.

Just finally requested a sample of the 720. Asked for a 7/small. I take a medium in the blue smurf ones with a thin underglove. Will ask for a medium as well

Yep - get a couple of sizes. They're free, after all. :D

For what it's worth - I'm wearing the Burton Powerstretch liners (underglove) under my 720s in the video. Cushy and warm... Like a thick sleeping bag on a cold winter's night - except with all the dexterity of a surgeon's glove.

Water temp was 60.8 degrees F... Frankly, a little warm for undergloves with the 720... But I was laying in the mud for over an hour making that cut, so why not be super cushy?

I swear, I'm getting pretty spoiled in this setup. For something like 15 years I ran this company in a wetsuit, diving year-round... Sometimes in waters as cold as 35° or so. Man, technology is a wonderful thing...

Best part is cleaning up... I hose myself off while wearing the suit, and that's pretty much it. Step out dry and warm. Hang the suit. Simple. Years ago, every day I would strip down to a bathing suit on the dock - often in 40° or 50° air - and hose myself and the wetsuit... Front and back, inside and out. Twenty or thirty minutes in the cold, wet, unforgiving winter air, wearing nothing but a wet bathing suit... Mostly, because I could not get a drysuit to seal at my wrists - and drygloves were out, as I holed them every dive.

No longer is that the case. I can trust my drygloves - and I'm actually dry inside the suit! Crazy technology!

For me, the 720s and the Waterproof Ultima Dryglove Ring System changed everything.

Same here. I first tried dry gloves with Merry about a dozen years ago. I don't remember the brand, but they were a ring system that you attached to the wrist seals with an O-ring. While we were making a surface swim each of us had the gloves pop off. Merry never wanted to try dry gloves again. I continued to look for a system that actually worked.

I finally found a set of Diving Concepts rings. I tried them with 660s, 480s and other high numbers with varying success...from bad to worse. Sometimes I would go two or three dives without flooding the gloves, sometimes they flooded on every dive. I had punctures from touching sharp metal, rocks, shells and sometimes they leaked because they came from the store with staple holes in the sleeves.

I also had the problem of having long arms. I've had many drysuits, including some custom ones. None had sleeves that were long enough. I tried using fourteen inch gloves but the only ones available had a cotton liner that soaked up water under the O-ring holding them to the glove rings. I finally got a pair of Ultima rings because my hands were too big to keep squeezing into the DC rings. It wasn't until Seajay recommended the 720s that everything finally fell into place. They stretch well enough that they don't pop off my long arms when I reach for the boat ladder. They are so cut resistant that I am wearing the same pair for a year now and they still look new. I even convinced Merry to try dry gloves again. She actually loves the Ultima rings and the 720s. If only I knew then what I know now.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom