Ultrasonic Cleaning?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've got this one. I don't have anything to compare with, but it's worked quite well for me. Most definitely stainless and not painted cardboard. :wink:

I've used it for regulators and bicycle parts. Used all kinds of solvents, and it looks like it did when I unboxed it.

I put some rubber around the cage where it contacts the cleaner as it is really noisy without it.

The HF works... you just gotta run it for 45 mins to clean what my Crest will do in 2 mins. For occasional use its fine, for regular use pony up for name brand lab equipment (eBay and patience are you friends). It's all relative. ☺

Wanted to revisit this thread because it was instrumental in helping me pick a cleaner. And I want to second @Jack Hammer's advice for anyone searching these threads as they're trying to make their own decision.

I waited (for ages) until I found an old L&R for about $100 on eBay. It was so well worth the wait.

Less than 5 minutes will get even the crummiest, saltiest, corroded, green, never-rinsed, flea-market reg looking brand sparkling new. I've been using it for a few months now and am never disappointed.

So what is the right propotrion to delute Simple Green?!

I read 30:1, 16:1, 10:1 in different threads from different years.

I am a little bit confused now...

So what is the right propotrion to delute Simple Green?!
With an ultrasonic cleaner? 30/1
Without an ultrasonic cleaner? 10/1

With an ultrasonic cleaner? Vinegar: 5/1
Without an ultrasonic cleaner? Vinegar: 2/1

Neither of the chemicals are completely benign, so less is almost always best and an ultrasonic amplifies their effectiveness dramatically. You might even try them more dilute when using one. I remember reading one reg manufacturer's warning to NOT use Simple green on their regs at all and I remember reading another caveat elsewhere, that you should be careful using it on aluminum. No, I don't remember the manufacturer.

Atomic advises against Simple Green in heated US. They said that most will heat the water up enough to breakdown the SG and cause residue buildup or something.

Atomic advises against Simple Green in heated US. They said that most will heat the water up enough to breakdown the SG and cause residue buildup or something.
Sounds believable, my ultrasonic gets very hot.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom