Ultrasonic Cleaning?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I recall seeing a posts somewhere regarding scubatools being slow. Yep, good thing I'm not in a rush.

Place an order on 2/24. Account was charged on 2/25, I've already paid for it. Order status on 03/04? Not shipped.

most places don't charge until they're ready to go, I guess ST doesn't play that...

I recall seeing a posts somewhere regarding scubatools being slow. Yep, good thing I'm not in a rush.

Place an order on 2/24. Account was charged on 2/25, I've already paid for it. Order status on 03/04? Not shipped.

most places don't charge until they're ready to go, I guess ST doesn't play that...
Any other options for DIY'ers to source these tools than that site?

Parts kits and some stuff for 2 stage regs here, though they mostly cater to the double hose needs:

Store - Vintage Double Hose

VDH shipped almost immediately. I ordered from both at the same time & the VDh order got here quickly. And they used the post office.

don't know where else to get the brand specific tools that scubatools has yet.

I'm just getting started & not in any rush at all, so I'm not in any sort of bind. I was just surprised to see that a week after having been charged it still hadn't shipped.

a few online vendors carry some of the basic generic regulator tools (works with most brands of reg). Try Dive Right in Scuba, I've got stuff from them. The Scuba tools ones are nice with a bigger selection of reg brand specific tools. Never had an issue ordering from them.

I didn't look to see where they are. I think the post I saw dealt with an order delay in the middle of those winter storms that were shutting down a lot of roads & power. could be they're still impacted in some way & this isn't typical?

My order with Scubatools took about three weeks. This was a year or so ago in March.

I called and reminded them, and they got it right out after that.

Pyridine and dimethylsulfoxide are two of the most amazing solvents out there. Both are smelly liquids, very hard for the public to obtain.
Pyridine and dimethylsulfoxide (DMSO) are in totally different categories as solvents. DMSO is MUCH more aggressive. At the risk of tossing in more chemistry than needed on SB, let me suggest that that the posters meant NMP (N-methylpyrrolidone), not pyridine. NMP and DMSO are solvents of choice for many things, including a great many polymers (i.e. plastics.) DMSO is not particularly difficult for the public to find, or at least it didn't used to be... quacks in various places began selling it on-line as a treatment for arthritic joints. (rubbing it on your skin creates a warm feeling that some people interpret incorrectly as "dissolving" deposits in their joints.) FWIW, this is a particularly stupid thing to do, not because DMSO is toxic, but because almost anything dissolved in DMSO can be transferred directly into your bloodstream through skin exposure. Legend has it that one could dissolve drugs such as LSD in DMSO and shoot an unsuspecting victim with a dose from a squirt gun. I don't actually believe this, as the DMSO would probably dissolve a plastic squirt gun. In any event, neither NMP or DMSO strike me as particularly useful solvents for cleaning SCUBA gear, with or without ultrasound.

Personally, I don't find the smell of DMSO particularly nasty - just faintly garlicky (and garlic is my favorite fruit.) Get a drop of DMSO on your skin and in a few seconds you will TASTE it (it gets in the blood that fast!) Pyridine, OTOH, like many amines, smells like rotting fish, but at least it doesn't pass through your skin.

Chemistry lesson over for today. Class dismissed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom