Uncle Pug goes to Fiji ~ discussion thread open for posting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Uncle Pug:
10 pounds (6 for the plate and 4 on the belt) was definitely not too much. Later in the trip I even upped the weight on the belt.
That's somewhat surprising, UP. Perhaps it was a water salinity thing? In my albeit limited warm water diving, I've found 10 pounds (6 for the plate and 4 on the belt) to be just right for me wearing a 3 mil full wetsuit. This was in Bonaire and in Puerto Vallarta.

I sure wish I could have gone with you... I need some warm water diving!

Jimmie

kalvyn:
That's somewhat surprising, UP. Perhaps it was a water salinity thing?

Or perhaps it was the pre-dive tabasco .. :11:

I'm surprised as well ... in Bonaire I used 4 lbs plus my 2-lb AL plate with a full 3-mil suit. And back here, UP uses way less weight than I do ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Jimmie: It may have been a salinity thing. Others were using even more. I'll see in a couple of weeks what I end up using in Hawaii. I definitely wasn't overweighted with 10#s total.

Pennypue: I won the battle... didn't need the Sudafed at Beqa Lagoon during the last three days of the trip so was able to give the rest away to a fellow who had just arrived with a head cold. :D

NWGratefulDiver:
I'm surprised as well ... in Bonaire I used 4 lbs plus my 2-lb AL plate with a full 3-mil suit. And back here, UP uses way less weight than I do ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

That's what I was thinking. In June I dove in Maui with a 3 mil, AL80's, a Zeagle Ranger (pre BP/W) and 10 lbs. I could have gone less too. Wierd.

3 mil, single Luxfer S080 = 12 pounds for me. I do six in a plate and three on each hip, at least locally... 37 ppt salinity around here.

In freshwater, the same configuration means that I take the three off each hip - for six pounds total.

UP, a silly question perhaps, but pertinent to me... is kava an alcoholic drink? If it is alcoholic, how would one refuse to partake without offending the culture? Linda and I really want to go to Fiji someday, but as we're non-drinkers I've often wondered about this particular Fijian practice.

Jimmie

No, kava isn't alcoholic... it is thought to have anti-depressant qualities but so far no one knows for sure the mechanism. Some folks say that it gives them a tingling in their lips... however I felt no such effect... my sleepiness was actually from being so busy and getting so little sleep.

On the other hand drinking kava is a social element of Fijian culture and even if you are a *non-drinker* taking the first offered bilo with a clap and a "bula" should not present any problem... just ask for a *low tide*. :wink:

kalvyn:
UP, a silly question perhaps, but pertinent to me... is kava an alcoholic drink? If it is alcoholic, how would one refuse to partake without offending the culture? Linda and I really want to go to Fiji someday, but as we're non-drinkers I've often wondered about this particular Fijian practice.

Jimmie
... a very low grade combo of dishwater and the remnants of a mudpuddle, but with the effects of modest hyperventilation.

I once knew the reaction, but that was a long time ago, and I'm old and stoopid now. Kava is made from the ground up root of a plant, and like many plants it has a mild narcotic effect. Less than beetlenut, less than jalapeno, etc. In quantity you can get numbed lips, but folks don't usually drink it for a buzz. Most islanders are all too familiar that non-islanders who have not grown up with it as part of the culture do not appreciate the taste. Running the cup by your lips for a faux taste is a well-understood tradition.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom